Iowa young writers studio 2022

hey guys, its 1 am here and i just got my acceptance email for this program!! i’m going to be online as i’m international, but i’m currently deliberating going to this, or waiting to see if i have a chance at the adroit mentorship (which i got waitlisted for), im just worried that i might not be able to keep up with my time zones. are there any other people in asia / in a similar situation as me? I’d love to hear from you!

ayeee i got in :slight_smile: session 2 in person!!

1 Like

I got into session 1, in person! Very excited to be able to attend… and congrats to you man

Anyone has experience if it is possible to change to in person from online?

i got into session one playwriting in person!!!

i got into session 2 in person!

What did you write about? How long was your story? I think mine might have been too short. If you wish to share, what did you include in your personal statement? Just want to know what to maybe improve on when I reapply next year.

1 Like

I second this. Congratulations to everyone who got in!!! :sparkling_heart:

see you there dude!!

Oh, well my short story was flash fiction so it was around six hundred words and it discussed a female fantasy character that died because of a prophecy, only for the villain to face the next chosen one right after her death, like a never-ending cycle. as for what I wrote about, I discussed my personal demons through a creative essay exploring them by characterizing them with colors. For example, depression was a blue monster that I expressed as a “darkness from closing up pressure that makes my heart explode.” Anxiety was pink, self-doubt was green, you get the picture. I sent a poem about my abusive relationship with my dad, my difficulty with romance, a random poem about a captain and their ship, and an elegy about my grandfather’s death. I discussed a bunch of different topics surrounding my life and allowed my sample to be the defining characteristic of my application. My essay, as I previously said before, was a discussion of my sample and the influences such as Chilean writer Pablo Neruda (which I think represents the Hispanic side of my heritage and culture) and Rick Riordan’s Greek and Roman mythology fiction series for children (as a representation of my upbringing in a literature-loving household).

That’s basically it! If you have any more questions, feel free to ask.

2 Likes

thank you! next time for sure, i believe in you

i just switched to session two :frowning: since iowa didn’t work out the dates for session two are easier for my fam and i

1 Like

yes, congratulations!!!

Cool cool, wishing you the best :smiling_face:

curious about this too. i got in for online session 1 but now i’m reconsidering

For those of you who didn’t get in, my son was rejected some years ago and ended up going to the summer writing program at Rhodes. He met a few other students there who had been at Sewanee’s similar program the year before. You might check both of those if this one or Kenyon don’t work out.

1 Like

hello everyone, I’m new here but was accepted into session 2 in person poetry today!! I am a sophomore and attended sywc virtually last summer.

3 Likes

sup dude, im in session 1 of the creative writing track
good luck with your summer!

1 Like

Hope there is some flexibility, best wishes!

1 Like

How did you switch the session? I want to switch to session one, not sure if it’s possible. Thanks.