IPad vs Kindle Fire/

<p>Hellllp!! Need Tax-Free Weekend Back-to-School advice: Kindle Fire vs. IPad??? Kindle Fire is only $199, which strikes me as a HUUUUUGE positive. But top Amazon reviewer said it’s “more for consumption than creation.” Does that mean you can’t take notes on it in class? Or do simple word processing on it? Can you download textbook-y stuff on it or only recent bestsellers? (Son has ZERO interest in reading the entire Harry Potter series in eight different languages.) Also–IPad owners: Any compelling reason to get IPad 3 rather than IPad 2? Not sure I can see getting either one, if Kindle Fire can do almost as much for so much less $$…but all info / advice / guidance would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!!</p>

<p>I have a kindle touch, kndle fire, ipad original, and galaxy 10 ( an android tablet). They are all for fun more than productivity, compared to a laptop, or windows tablet like the Fujitsu. But with more apps in the pipeline, and some textbooks ( Not engineering textbooks) available for the kindle ap , I suppose that could chaage. For fun , I’d go with a kindle, unless you don’t have financial concerns, in which case I’d go with the galaxy. The screen size of the galaxy 10 or Ipod is worth it at my age, but 4 G ( and paying monthly rates for internet access without wi .fi) is not. The 4G capability is what I think makes the newer Ipads different…</p>

<p>I’d go with the iPad.</p>

<p>My older son bought the Nook Tablet and loves it. You can add memory to it which you can’t do with Kindle Fire.</p>

<p>Guess this means the NMF laptop is dead and not recoverable, eh?</p>

<p>LOL, loring, yes, the NMF laptop is dead. But Dr. Sharpe advised us to bring it to the IT folks at Bama for repair or replacement…so hope remains. We will bring it to them when we arrive in a week and a half or so.</p>

<p>Thanks so much for all your help, y’all. We have decided to go with the IPad 2. :)</p>

<p>I owned a Fire. I returned it after a week- it was a slow, buggy mess. There are good Android tablets, though- for example, the new Google Nexus 7 absolutely destroys the Kindle Fire, and it costs the same.</p>

<p>LadyD…get the bluetooth keyboard as well. It works as a case, too.</p>

<p>I am about to buy one for my daughter for her birthday and we are trying to decide- she has an Iphone and Macbook- she plans to only use it for reading but it’s not a whole lot of more money to get the Nook Tablet ve reader with light(which we are looking at) she is a sophomore in premed…</p>

<p>I second going with the Ipad 2 and bluetooth keyboard.</p>

<p>Those Dells come with a three year warranty. We just had to check because DDs is messing up already. I think she will have to take it to the on campus computer people to ship it out to Dell. It is supposed to be three years of next day service.</p>

<p>I bought a Kindle Fire and love it. However, it is buggy, I only write short replies on e-mails as the keyboard touchpad isn’t easy to use, and to read the Fire actually gets heavy to hold. At $199 it does what I wanted and I love it…however, if I had the money there is no contest and I would get the IPad. Those are awesome!</p>

<p>Son has Asus transformer prime for his tablet. . He loves it. I have kindle fire and like it, but it is not really a full service tablet. </p>

<p>Sent from my DROID RAZR using CC</p>