Ironbowl of Hovercraft Saturday 4/27/13

<p>UA engineering students are set to race in the University Hover bowl Challenge Saturday, April 27 at Lake Lureen State Park just outside of Tuscaloosa.</p>

<p>Racing starts at 10 AM and should end abour 4PM. The event is free, but admission to the state park is $3.</p>

<p>I don’t know how to put in the link, but this is on the UA homepage event calendar.</p>

<p>That sounds like so much fun! Thanks for letting us know about it!</p>

<p>[Auburn</a>, Alabama engineering students set to battle Saturday in first Iron Bowl of hovercrafts | al.com](<a href=“http://blog.al.com/breaking/2013/04/auburn_alabama_engineering_stu.html]Auburn”>Auburn, Alabama engineering students set to battle Saturday in first Iron Bowl of hovercrafts - al.com)</p>

<p>Wish I could get to town a few days early and see this.</p>

<p>Thanks for posting the link Class2012Mom! DS is on the team and very excited about the event. I asked him to take some photos because his grandmother isn’t sure what a hovercraft looks like.</p>

<p>Would love to hear how this event turned out. I know son is knee deep in projects, even some due today, Saturday, but I sure hope he had time to attend at least the demonstration on Friday afternoon.</p>

<p>Bumping for update from sactonative, please.</p>

<p>DS text conversation:
Mom: How was today’s hovercraft competion?
DS: OK
Mom: Fun?
DS: Yeah
Mom: Auburn won?</p>

<p>No response. </p>

<p>Dad read in the local paper that Auburn won, Bama’s first year competition Auburn’s 3 year preparation.</p>

<p>My son went with three friends. He said it was pretty neat. I think he was there for 3 or 4 hours. It was hard to understand what went on there as there were technical difficulties on both teams. Congrats to the team on a great effort.</p>

<p>Yeah, Auburn won the competition but it doesn’t sound like there was much of a competition due to technical failures.</p>

<p>[Auburn</a> wins first-ever hovercraft challenge over UA engineering rivals | al.com](<a href=“http://blog.al.com/breaking/2013/04/auburn_wins_first-ever_hovercr.html]Auburn”>Auburn wins first-ever hovercraft challenge over UA engineering rivals - al.com)</p>

<p>Feenotype- After reading the article you attached and talking to my son yesterday, I would say technical difficulties is an understatement. My son who is an aerospace major, was really impressed with all the work they did even though the end result was not what was expected. I guess that’s how it goes sometimes, especially in engineering.</p>

<p>The comments attached to that article are really something. My son didn’t mention any of that stuff.</p>

<p>Ooof. Yeah, those are pretty much the typical kinds of quips from the friendly commenters on Al.com. This stuff seems pretty civilized compared to the typical football story comments. Nothing like UA-AU rivalry.
Anyway, I hope they do this again next year – maybe another school will jump in/hover in as well.</p>

<p>DS mentioned problems with the skirt. I always learn from my mistakes; hopefully these future engineers got quite an education from the experience. Roll Tide!</p>

<p>PS: I hope I’m not getting the reputation of a hovermom!</p>

<p>sactonative = funny! :)</p>

<p>I really would love to see DS get involved in this. I do hope it becomes a tradition!</p>

<p>Heck, I’d like to do this. Let’s form a parents team and show those young pups up!</p>