Is a UC really better than a CSU?

<p>Hello, I am currently enrolled at UC-Riverside, economics major. I have recently realized that the major here is based as a social science, so it does not have any finance applications. I want to go into Investment banking after my undergrad. I also have found that CSULA has an applied economics program which has finance in the curriculum. So it seems that the program at CSULA would better prepare me for my career. I really do not want to go to graduate school after graduation. But does it really matter that one is a UC and one is a CSU? does the prestige or lack thereof of the school really matter on getting a job even if you have done internships? Also CSULA is much cheaper about $6,300 for tuition and fees as a commuter and at UCR it is about $14,000 tuition and fees plus I have to pay about $6,000 for my apartment for the school year. I have already applied to CSULA and it is the only school I applied to.</p>

<p>Usually, the answer can vary…but for something like investment banking, prestige of the school is pretty important IMO.</p>

<p>I’d imagine there are better CSU programs than CSULA. I understand SLO, in particular has a quantitative bent to their Econ program. Maybe Long Beach too. I don’t know that either will get you noticed by Goldman.</p>

<p>Look at other UCs too - i mean, if you could transfer to LA, San Diego or even Davis, it might be worth the extra $.</p>