Is anyone else planning to attend a predominately White university like me?

<p>My list of colleges (In order):</p>

<h1>1. Penn State-University Park</h1>

<p>Tied at #2:
University of Delaware
University of Maryland-College Park</p>

<h1>3. UConn</h1>

<h1>4. Temple</h1>

<h1>5. UGA</h1>

<h1>6. University of Arizona</h1>

<h1>7. University of Colorado-Boulder</h1>

<p>The only HBCU I would probably apply to is Morgan State. I've visited a bunch of them, and only this one (and possibly Hampton) interests me. So how many of you are like me?</p>

<p>I’ll definitely probably be attending an predominately were school…have you ever visited Virginia State University…its a good hbcu…my brother goes there</p>

<p>Sent from my LG-E739 using CC</p>

<p>*White…not were lol</p>

<p>I’ve never even really heard of it lol! When I think of Virginia, I think of UVA. But I’m definitely going to look it up. Thanks dude!</p>

<p>I don’t really like that term I just call it a regular college if its not a HBCU. Anyways since CA doesn’t have any HBCUs then I guess so.</p>

<p>@FutureDoctor31 Your welcome, Bro …All i usually think of is UVA William and Mary and also Virginia Tech. Probably Cause there the to schools in VA</p>

<p>Futuredoctor,
All of your schools are state schools, but in different states. What is your home state? Can you/your family afford out of state tuition?</p>

<p>Futruredoc- if you are thinking about a HBCU, check out North Carolina Central University in NC. They have good biomedical research facilities and I think the opportunities are there for undergrads to participate in this. Their location in Durham makes it possible for collaboration with the other universities and medical centers in the area. It may be a good place for pre-med studies and you may want to contact them to ask about research/medical internships for their undergrads.</p>

<p>@prefect I don’t know. All I know so far is that mine will be reduced by about $5-8,000 dollars depending on where I go. Since I’m in a college bound group, and the head of our group is neighbors with the CEO of Campus Apartments, the CEO offered to pay our room and board! Plus, we get to actually live in these Campus Apartments for free! This, combined with any scholarships I might receive, an FA package, and me getting a job should take some stress off my family. My home state is Pennsylvania, so that’s why Penn State is my top choice. With that Campus Apartments deal alone, I can go to every school except UDel, Temple, and CU-Boulder for just a few thousand more than Penn State. </p>

<p>@Pennylane, I will check it out! I want to apply to at least one HBCU so I don’t dissapoint my family lol</p>

<p>Howard U may also be a good choice and it has a medical school. Consider also some of the small liberal arts colleges as well. Most of them have pre-med advisers. For financial aid- you apply and then look at the bottom line- which could possibly be less for a private school than a public. You just don’t know. There are several of them to consider- especially in PA. Put some data in a college search engine and see what turns up… Also there is a group of schools known as “Colleges that change lives” and a website for them to consider as well. </p>

<p>I don’t know if you are limited to Campus Apartment locations, or if you can get enough FA to attend other schools. I am not an expert in the FA aspects. You can apply to any school that interests you and see how the FA turns out before you decide. </p>

<p>The CA offer is great, but I would want it in writing for all 4 years (in case the CEO is no longer working there or something…or the apartment/business is sold or changes management…</p>

<p>That’s a good idea! I never even thought about getting that in writing! </p>

<p>If I want my room and board payed off, I would be limited to CA locations. UConn, UMCP, UGA, and University of Arizona. These are all schools that I’m interested in. I’m not really looking at smaller colleges since I love the social scene of larger colleges. But who knows, that could change. </p>

<p>I actually toured Howard a few years back. I just don’t remember enough of the tour to say if I like it or not. I might do a second tour in the near future.</p>

<p>I was curious and googled the Campus Apartment website and they have many locations, but you are correct that they are close to larger universities than small (I guess college towns are where the need for lots of housing is). There are more cities which could open some possibilities.
These are apartments- but not with meal plans as far as I can tell, but getting free rent is huge. Keep this in mind but still apply to schools that are a good fit. You never know what a financial aid package will look like.
There is a CA location in Durham which could make NCCU a possibility. They have an honors program…It looks like there is a CA in Atlanta which is where Morehouse is located- another HBCU to consider…I don’t know what kind of distances these are from the colleges.</p>

<p>Futuredoctor,
Even if your room and board are covered, out of state tuition can be high. U Colorado OOS is $31,000. U Arizona is $26,000. Most state schools do not provide any significant aid to OOS students. Could you cover 25-30 K per year? </p>

<p>Are your stats high enough to qualify for merit aid anywhere? National merit or achievement?</p>

<p>Have you looked at any private schools? Depending on income, sometimes private schools offer better FA packages and can be cheaper than public schools.</p>

<p>I agree with prefect. State colleges have a lower overall tuition rate than some private schools, but give less financial aid. This could make their bottom line price quite high for the out of state student- even with free room and board.
I don’t know what your FA needs are, and it makes sense to look at schools with locations near the apartments you have access to. It could also be a good idea to add some privates to your list. Large state schools can also focus on “numbers” in admissions. They have a huge number of applicants and the standards for OOS applicants can be high. Some of the smaller colleges can be more holistic in their admissions and some are score optional. A group of these schools are called “Colleges That Change Lives” ( google them).<br>
Many colleges are committed to diversity and each one has a "culture’ of it’s own. The HBCU’s will also each have a unique college culture. I think it is important to look at any school for “fit”… which would include diversity and also the social scene, Greek life, and so on…If you like a big busy campus, you could also be in large classes. The smaller schools can offer more personal attention. Then there is finances. There are pros and cons to everything.</p>

<p>I am. I wish I didn’t have to, but it can’t be helped.</p>

<p>If the school has what your looking for in classes for your major then go for it!</p>

<p>@Alexis what do you mean?</p>

<p>I would love a more diverse school, but all the ones I’m applying to do not offer this.</p>

<p>@Alexis Look up the University of Maryland-College Park. If you have the stats to get in, I can tell you that this is the most diverse school I’ve visited so far. Plus, it has a beautiful campus, nice sports teams, and it’s about 3 miles from Washington DC! I really hope I get accepted here so I can be a Terp come Fall 2013!</p>

<p>@future
Aw, I’d love to, but my college list is pretty set already. T___T I’m focusing on colleges that offer full rides and promise financial aid packages without the use of loans. :smiley: I hope you get accepted, though. C:</p>