Is Anything But Engineering Worth It At Tech?

For a while now, I have been interested in Virginia Tech. I am interested in humanities and liberal arts, though, and I was wondering if it is worth it to go to Virginia Tech if not for engineering? I know it is known for its engineering and agricultural programs, but those are not areas I am interested in. Thank you for any advice you may have.

Looking at NCES Navigator(https://nces.ed.gov/collegenavigator/?s=VA&l=93&ct=1&id=233921), it looks like you’d have a reasonable cohort of humanities majors (approximately 80 BAs in English and 70 in history were awarded during the time period displayed). Likewise, he social sciences are well-represented.

Not sure about liberal arts but my D is pretty excited about Art there (probably her first choice school so fingers crossed she hears soon). The School of Visual Arts (SOVA) Creative Technologies program is a growth area and pretty highly regarded in animation and digital spheres, which is what my D is interested in. I don’t think its ranked up with the likes of Carnegie Mellon but a lot tech schools (VT, NC State, e.g.) have really good programs in the arts for exploring the intersection of Art and technology (visual, music, even drama).

VT architecture program also is ranked very high nationally.

As for Humanities, I know a ton of people who went to VT, studied just about every subject under the sun, and they all have one thing in common. They loved being at Virginia Tech. Something about the place that people seem to love.

I hope other majors are worth it since my son applied to the Liberal Arts and Human Sciences program…

As someone who applied to VT earlier this year, I can say they are well ranked for undergraduate business majors. In the top 25 in the nation. Excluding UVA and W&M, I believe they’re in the top 5 in Virginia.

We were really impressed with their College of Sciences XS (Explore Science) program. The first two years, you pick areas as diverse as Data Science, Microbiology, Physics, Chemistry, etc, before you decide on your Major(s). In addition, they are following Princeton in offering an STL (Science, Technology, Law) Minor. VA Tech is one of the most generous schools as far as AP credits are concerned, and that’s another thing to consider!

I can tell you that my DD is in a performing arts major and it is FABULOUS. It’s close knit and every student knows every professor - personally. The best thing though is for you to visit - if you click with the students and professors then you can’t go wrong. Lots of internship opportunities.