Is AP stats critical for applying for statistics major?

I selected AP Calc BC and Multiple Variable in the 11th and 12th grade. They are the hardest Mathematics course provided in my high school. I want to apply for CS as my 1st choice and Statistics major as my 2nd choice. But I don’t have enough room to select AP stats in the high school. Is it a issue if I apply for Statistics major? Or is AP Calc BC and Multiple Variable is enough.

A Michigan student doesn’t declare their major officially until the Winter semester of sophomore year. So an applicant to Michigan is only declaring their “interest” in majoring in Statistics.

You’re fine IMO. Michigan, like all top uni’s, is looking for rigor, that’s what is important to admission. And IMO, AP Calc BC and MV Calc are more rigorous than AP Stat.

6 Likes

Agree. Michigan wants rigor. Stats isn’t showing that compared to what you picked. You can take stats when you have exhausted your math progression.

AP statistics may be helpful to confirm interest in the subject. However, it or its college equivalent is not required for the statistics major at Michigan.

Statistics Major | U-M LSA U-M College of LSA says that one of DATASCI 101 or STATS 206 or STATS 250 or STATS 280 or STATS 412 is needed to declare the major. AP statistics is considered equivalent to STATS 180, which the department recommends following with STATS 250 or STATS 280 (these are entry-level courses which do not list any prerequisites, so AP statistics credit does not really help with advanced placement).

If you are confident in your multivariable calculus skills, you can start directly with STATS 412 as your entry-level statistics course at Michigan.

Thank you all!