Is Conn College Prestigious? and any info about Conn?

Hey Guys!
Just someone who is super interested in Conn after having an interview and attending their open house, but I just found out about this college not so long ago and have never visited.

When I tell my friends, not a lot of them know Conn, and a lot of them think I am talking about UConn when mentioning Conn.

I am just worried when I graduate, not a lot of people would know the college, therefore making it harder for me to find a job.

I don’t live in the States so I don’t know about the school’s reputation in the US but would you say Conn is prestige/well-regarded? In the US what schools do you say is the same prestige at Conn? and would you say it will be easy to find a job.

Also, I have never been to campus so if you can tell me about Conn’s vibe, campus and what the students are like (or any opinions you had when visiting Conn) that would help me a lot.

I completely know prestige should not be the only reason to consider when choosing a school, I am just curious and I think any info would really help me.

Thank you so much :slight_smile:

@lalaalaaand CC has an excellent reputation, particularly in the Northeast. It is part of NESCAC (athletic league) so that automatically puts it in prestigious company with the other NESCAC schools: Amherst College, Bates College, Bowdoin College, Colby College, Connecticut College, Hamilton College, Middlebury College, Tufts University, Trinity College, Wesleyan University, and Williams College.

It’s acceptance rate is 37% and it is ranked 51st among national liberal arts colleges. It is strong in economiccs, biology, international relations and has a solid pre-med program. It also has a great internship program. CC attracts nice, academically minded, “shy” students. It’s class sizes are small and has a 9:1 student faculty ratio. IMO, any LAC in the top 100 are going to give you an excellent education.

4 Likes

Conn is a fine school and people in the NE have heard of it. As part of the NESCAC, it has a prestigious association. I wouldn’t worry if others haven’t heard of it. People who need to know have heard of Conn.

3 Likes

Conn College is well-regarded. Student body seems to be quite affluent, although the school says that more than half of its students receive financial aid; the campus is in a beautiful surrounding.

My DS and I were able to visit Conn in February 2020 for an open house before things started closing down. The campus is beautiful. My DS had a great time at lunch with the professors, they were all very approachable and spoke to him more on a peer level than as if they were “elite” and speaking to a high school student. We didn’t have a lot of interaction with students while we were there but the ones that we did encounter were very nice and helpful. One thing we noticed though is many of the classrooms are very small and, at the time, seemed to be packed with so many desks that there was barely any room to walk in the room. We didn’t see all of the classrooms so I can’t say they are all like that but there were quite a few. Their arts building seemed great to us with the theater, an upstairs art space and a lower level for musicians.

1 Like

Conn Coll was originally an all-women’s college and went co-ed in the '70s. So, it does not, and never had, a football team or greek life, though it does have Men’s teams in other sports. Conn Coll is known for having very strong modern dance program as well as very strong fine arts – the college museum is in the center of campus, with the studio arts classrooms/studios in that building. Although not originally a Quaker college, like Haverford, Conn Coll does have a strong Honor Code which is designed to create a culture of trust and autonomy, not just deal with academic integrity issues. Conn Coll also has a guaranteed summer stipend for students for unpaid internships, which is really helpful, and we were impressed by the Career Services office. Our sense of students when we visited is that they are generally nice, engaged kids – similar to Bates, Dickinson, Denison etc. students.

Campus is lovely – it is a campus that you drive onto, and is fully self-contained, unlike some schools where town streets intersect the campus buildings. Lots of Gothic architecture, plus some other architectural styles. Updated student center and dining hall, as best I recall. My son, who was going through athletic recruiting, was not a big fan of the fact that the athletic facilities, including Varsity training facilities, were across a pedestrian bridge and seemed a little faded, but that was 2015 or so and maybe there have been upgrades since then. New London, CT is by the coast and a train ride from NY and Boston, so a great location to be in.

6 Likes

It was on D20’s short list and we loved it. Everyone we met over 2 visits seemed happy to be there. It has a very good reputation! People have mentioned the beautiful campus - and it IS - we had an hour to kill before an interview and went across the street to their 750 acre arboretum and botanical garden complete with pond and walking paths. D could really see herself studying on a blanket or going for a walk to find peace and destress.

4 Likes

My daughter is a Sophomore at Conn College and loves it. It is highly regarded among those who are familiar with liberal art colleges on the east coast and especially graduate schools. The students are engaged and caring and I didn’t observe that at many of the other liberal art colleges. We couldn’t be happier with Conn.

5 Likes

In addition to being a very good LAC, it is (I think) in a great location (close to Mystic!) and the campus is beautiful and ‘cozy’.

2 Likes