Is EA Backfiring for High Stats Kids?

4.3 is not a top-end GPA in South Carolina. Top-end GPAs probably go into the 5.something range based on the calculation shown in the following document:

https://ed.sc.gov/tests/tests-files/eocep-files/uniform-grading-policy-february-2018/

5 Likes

According to Clemson’s 2021 CDS, a 4.3 is slightly below reported average among matriculating students. A 4.3 GPA may be below a typical Clemson admit, depending on weighting formula. Clemson also considers things like choice of major and residency when evaluating applications. A particular applicant may be a likely admit for some majors and unlikely for others.

Whether this means EA is “backfiring” depends on definitions. For example, I see no evidence that EA is reducing chance of admission compared to applying RD, so in that sense it is not backfiring. However, if the goal of EA is to get in to some colleges, to reduce load/stress of RD round, then applying only to Clemson could “backfire” and end up in deferral. To avoid getting shut out in the EA round, an applicant might apply to several different colleges of varying selectivities.

4 Likes

It looks like South Carolina uses a 6.0 scale in public schools from link above. This is where the disconnect may be. Clemson uses the SRAR same as some Florida schools and they recalculate your GPA so that AP/AICE/IB/DE class A grade that was a 6.0 is now a 5.0 etc. on down the line. Also, not sure if Clemson only uses Core classes

For example D23 in Florida has a 3.8ish unweighted GPA, weighted GPA on report card and used for class rank 5.0ish that’s with +2 for AP/AICE/IB/DE classes and +1 for honors, but recalculated GPA used for college admission for Florida universities 4.4ish with +1 for AP/AICE/IB/DE and .5 for honors added.

So if you are not up to date on this, which can be challenging, in our case you could be thinking my D23 is a lock for say UF with her 5.0 GPA when UF range is 4.4-4.6 for middle 50% GPA, However, when the school looks at her application they see a 4.4 which is at the 25th percentile.

6 Likes

I wish everyone was standardized. No #s like 92. No 6 point scale.

Have one scale which most commonly seems to be the +.5 for Honors and +1. for AP.

I couldn’t find Clemson GPA - they put rank and test on their website.

The CDS shows that 77% had a 4.0+. How they weight I don’t know.

Back to OP - again, EA was the right choice. Why - you had the first chance.

Clemson says this (when looking at the FAQs) - We will likely still admit half of our incoming class during Regular Decision. We will also admit students to Summer Start and our Bridge to Clemson Program.

To me, this means, you have double the chance of an RD person - ok, not statistically - but you were looked at but maybe didn’t stand out statistically (perhaps the GPA or rank). But they still expect to take 50% RD which means 50% went EA. So you had the chance.

My guess is the admit rate will fall below 40% this year - but we don’t know yet.

I wish they were clearer with their GPA #s and method - I can’t find it - but this could be the issue.

2 Likes

Interesting. Just calculated my sons GPA for Florida and his 4.37 UGA GPA turns into a 4.68 for Florida. He is starting with a 4.0 unweighted. Agree that how the GPA is calculated is a very important piece that a lot miss. It also confirms what I expected from reviewing the admissions data for UGA and Florida – their stats for admission are basically identical.

3 Likes

Another great example of why some High Stat kids are disappointed in EA

Looking at UF and UGA websites both weight college level classes 1 point but UGA gives no extra weight to honor level classes while UF and all Florida publics add .5 to honor classes.

So hypothetically you can recalculate your GPA based on UF and think you are done. Apply to UGA thinking your GPA is higher than it is.
At least these schools are transparent on GPA criteria.

Don’t get me started on schools that use a 4.0 unweighted GPA and then factor in Rigor based on standards they don’t share.
Hypothetically, let’s look at UGA if they kept their rigor weighting internal.
As a student with a 4.0 unweighted GPA you would have no way to no where you stand vs the rest of class. Now that same student with straight A’s has numerous honor classes but no AP/IB/AICE/DE classes. We know the class of 2026 at UGA has a 4.0 to 4.3 middle 50% GPA We know this because UGA is transparent in how they look at GPA’s and rigor and that same 4.0 student is at the bottom 25 percentile of admitted student GPA’s.
Students and parents not knowing this can lead to unrealistic expectations at some schools.
ie. my Straight A honor student didn’t get accepted at UGA or whatever college.

2 Likes

deleted

Was your daughter accepted EA at her first-choice school yet?

I’m revisiting this conversation because anecdotally among D23’s high stat friends we are hearing a LOT of deferrals for EA applications - obviously deferrals happen every year, but lots of surprises, and reading back here, I’m wondering if this is an increasing trend?

6 Likes

I have a high school class of 2020 and 2022 and this year has not sounded worse than last year for EA/ED. It hasn’t sounded easier, either, but not worse overall. Maybe some state schools have gotten pickier, but I have anecdotally heard a lot of success stories, too.

Although admissions seems to get a bit tougher each year, I think that it feels dramatically more dire the year your kids and their friends are in the trenches.

11 Likes

Agree with this, there are some colleges that have seen big jumps in applications, but overall, despite some unexpected results, our school has more favorable early decisions this year than last.

1 Like

I am wondering the same thing!

3 Likes

I’ll let you know on Tuesday! I think this year is similar to last year and that the whole system has changed since colleges went TO.

4 Likes

I think a lot more kids applied early action and early decision this year in response to the past two cycles. I know our school really encouraged this. Will be interesting to see how it affects RD admissions.

5 Likes

I am so worried about that! Mine was rejected from her REA and now I am concerned her remaining reach/targets will also be no’s.

1 Like

What about her safeties ?

There’s still time to apply to plenty of great schools.

Assuming you rated reach and target properly, hopefully targets will happen. But this is why people need safeties.

There was a kid yesterday who showed an entry into Cornell and FSU with stats beneath both. And an Emory that seemed low to me.

You just never know.

Chances are the REA had a very low admit rate. So the odds are against most everyone in that situation. But if it’s the true desire and the #s are there, it was the right move.

But it’s also the right move to have a safety and from seeing last posts, I’m sure you do and will be fine.

3 Likes

She’s got two acceptances (that she’s not too excited about) and two safeties we are waiting on that she likes. Her stats are there for reaches. Perfect ACT, top BS rigor, top quintile in class (that’s all they share) high honors. An EC that she trained at a pre-professional level and wants to continue in college. I think that has hurt though because it is year round, 6-7 days a week so she can’t compete with kids with tons of EC’s and leadership. Even though she is a leader within that EC it is not an official title, her supplemental recommender speaks to that but not all schools accept that rec.
So, I will be a stress case until March!

2 Likes

I wouldn’t worry about a rejection to your D’s REA choice, because each college looks and/or weights different factors.

2 Likes

She has two acceptances coming she likes…

And I think - with all the great stuff she has, truth is you never know she didn’t get in somewhere.

Someone can only do so much - and if a Harvard or Stanford or Gtown or whoever offers these restricted is a no - so be it. These kids are killing themselves to get there - and for what?

She gave it her all - she should hold her head high proudly.

She will go to a great place and do great things - and that’s all that matters.

So no reason to stress - sounds like there are four offers. But she should get excited about where she got into. After all, by applying, that meant she would like to go there.

She will see in life - she will make her impact, not the school. I’m living this now - my son has so many interviews and multiple job offers at salaries that come from higher ranked schools - and he’s at Bama. Why - because it’s him - he’s interned twice, did a great job (invited back a 2nd year where his Ga Tech roomies weren’t) - so she can do great anywhere if she wants it!!!

Congrats to her on a wonderful record and on what she’s about to accomplish int he next four years - regardless of where it is.

11 Likes

Thanks, actually one offer is somewhere she doesn’t want to go but got full tuition plus first year housing. (Bama) I told her to apply there because of auto merit. The second is local (45 min.) away, and Urban. She has decided she wants smaller LAC in New England. There are two safeties we are waiting to hear about that would require enough merit/FA. So, I am going to remain stressed! I feel like I have been researching non-stop since last May, and have gotten it all wrong. We didn’t visit many schools, she didn’t know what she wanted and still doesn’t really I don’t think!

1 Like

My son is also in at bama with the same full tuition offer. Our conversation is, we just don’t know what we’re comparing it to yet. We’ll know what schools are contenders by March, but what a great position to be in to have a full ride waiting in the wings.

13 Likes