Is everyone getting capped at UT?

I just got capped from UT. I am honestly devastated because UT has been my dream school for quite a while and I don’t see myself going anywhere else. I get it also has to do with the major (I applied ECE which is supposed to be very competitive). What I am surprised is that literally everyone in my school that did not get into UT got offered the CAP program. Is this a thing for every in-state student that did not get in?

Yes with exceptions… there are some students who will get rejected because there grades/scores are just too low. However, the majority of students, in-state, who do not get accepted to the main campus will be offered CAP as an option. If ECE is truly what you want to study look at schools that still have applications open. LSU? Maybe Texas Tech for an in-state option or apply to a CAP school that offers engineering. I have heard of many students transferring into UT Austin for engineering after going somewhere else for a year. Grades just need to be really exceptional.

If you want your desired major and to be on-campus for all four years, I’d apply to some additional schools. These are some of your in-state publics that I think would be worth a look that appear to still have their applications open.

• Texas Tech
  • U. of Houston
  • U. of Texas - Dallas
  • U. of North Texas

If you’re interested in going out of state, I’d take a look at:

• Louisiana State
  • Oklahoma State
  • U. of Arkansas (has greatly discounted tuition for students from neighboring states…like Texas)
  • U. of New Mexico (which also has some very generous merit aid available, depending on your academic background)

All of this is predicated on the idea that you like big state schools (such at UT-Austin). If you’re looking for a more intimate experience, let us know.

I got capped as well. :frowning:
I thought I had a pretty good shot to get in but applied to McCombs…
I had a 34 on the ACT, 4 years varsity sports, 2 publications (one in Austin Woman’s Magazine), 5 internships, 2 awards from sports (for leadership/positive attitude), 3 awards from school (for leadership), digital marketing award, business fair award, and electrical engineering award.

1 Like

UT was also my top choice and I am debating appealing.

2 Likes

I am writing an appeal. I am pretty worried about it because my stats are kinda mid (rough start in high school which really ruined my chances of even getting into top 10%. Low SAT score Although my Math is near perfect). Plus there are a lot more applicants than ever before. So I am not sure how often these appeals will work.

1 Like