Is Geneseo right for me?

<p>I'm not really familiar with SUNY Geneseo, but it looks interesting to me. Here are a few questions:
1) Rate political atmosphere 1-10, One being ultra-l=conservative and 10 being ultra-liberal.
2) I know most of the students are instate. Are they mainly from up-state or the city?
3) Rate diversity (racial, cultural, religious) 1-10. 1 being not diverse at all, 10 being very diverse.</p>

<p>Bump.........</p>

<p>Bbbbbbuuuuuuuummmmmppppp !!!!</p>

<p>My information is likely to be dated, but from past experience and conversations with fairly recent Geneseo grads I would say that the political leanings of the undergrad population are slightly left of center -- say 7-8 on your scale.</p>

<p>The majority of students at Geneseo are from Upstate NY, with a fairly sizeable proportion coming from the larger suburban high schools around Rochester, Syracuse, Buffalo, Albany etc. I don't have a precise percentage.</p>

<p>Geneseo reports that about 12% of undergrads are URMs. The breakdown is as follows (from Geneseo's web site):</p>

<p>American Indian 0.4%, Asian 6.3%, African American 2.0%, Hispanic 3.3%</p>

<p>As a current student:</p>

<p>1) Politically, this campus is rather apathetic, but it leans a little liberal, maybe a 6 or 7; but the politics of the surrounding area definitely lean conservative.</p>

<p>2) Lots of people from Buffalo and Rochester and Westchester County/Long Island. Not that many from NYC.</p>

<p>3) This campus is upper middle class white people.</p>

<p>If you are looking for an ultra liberal diverse population then SUNY New Paltz would be the one to look at. It also has an artsy reputation. I think the students are a mix of upstate, NYC, Long Island, Brooklyn and from other parts. There are International students too.</p>

<p>I have a simliar question to the politics one--it's okay if not everyone on the campus is into politics, but is there at least a group of people who are interested in politics and social activism? It's important to me so I'm curious.</p>

<p>Yeah, there are groups like Model UN which are pretty political, and college dems/repubs are pretty big on campus.</p>