is geography or statistics a popular major at UW-Madison?

<p>^bump10cha</p>

<p>Geography is pretty popular. #1 dept in the US.</p>

<p>Large enough statistics dept to be on its own and not in the math dept.</p>

<p>With large U’s like UW you can’t use the percentage of students choosing the major- absolute numbers can be large enough in some of the “least” popular majors for a good core of others sharing your major.</p>

<p>My experience with the Geography department has been incredible. The professors I’ve had have all been experts in their area of study. Texts are written by them. I’ve had some great field work in undergrad courses, too, which is always nice. Geography of Europe is a visually unfathomable course, with all materials being directly sourced back to the professor. His slideshows literally take you on a journey across the European continent while delving into extremely complex social, political, and economic issues. Also, many on campus hold the belief that men in the geography department are amongst the most attractive, collectively, on campus :wink: </p>

<p>As for stats, it certainly takes a specific kind of individual to want to major in it. Most L&S undergrads will have to take a stats course at some point, and for most, that’s the only experience they’ll have. I will say that having a firm knowledge base in statistics could be invaluable in securing undergraduate research opportunities, as many faculty members require more experience in stats than many “run of the mill” L&S majors possess.</p>

<p>The UW stats department is very good.</p>