Is going to Miami worth it?

<p>To attend UM i would have to get a $20,000 loan each year so $80,000 total over 4 years. I was accepted to the business school and basically im wondering if that huge loan will be overridden by opportunities out of the business school and UM in general. For example, does coming from UM get you a high paying job? Do you get good connections at UM? Do you get good connections out of UM frats (ill be in a frat if i go)? Thats the kind of things im thinking about. So any answers would be great rather you're an alumni or currently enrolled. Also more directed towards alumni, any experiences youve had relating to this kind of thing.</p>

<p>it definitely will be impressive to business schools but you have to do well, it depends how much you put into it to be worth it and worth it compared to what? is there another opportunity that might be cheaper for you?</p>

<p>definitely not worth it cause your gonna want to go to grad school afterwards so no</p>

<p>Auburn, ole miss, texas tech, and cal poly i wouldnt have to take any loans. Waiting to hear about scholarship from TCU, and waiting on decisions from ohio state and georgia.</p>

<p>You do realize you won’t be allow to take out such a big loan on your own. It will require your parents to borrow/cosign the loan for you. I would suggest you post this on the financial aid board and I am sure you will get lots of information. </p>

<p>IMO, it is not worth it – I would say that for all the schools (not just Miami). In this economy and who knows what it will look like 4 years from now – I would not borrow $80,000 for an undergrad degree. Graduating with as little debt as possible would be the smart thing to do!</p>

<p>assuming you attend a top 50 university or so (sorry, but i don’t know that this would apply to an Ole Miss), you’ll be the same as other applicants to business school, as far as prestige goes. I would believe that you should attend whichever is the cheapest good academic school you can, or go to the cheapest in-state school you can. </p>

<p>As for greek life, I’ve always been under the impression that you shouldn’t try and use the alumni network as a free ride. Instead, being greek makes you into more of a spirited, loyal, academic, committed leader that would show itself on the rest of your resume. You’ll get a second look because you’re a brother, but you’ll get the job because you earned it.
That said, greek life at those southern state schools (as i’m sure you’re aware) is a big deal on campus, while it’s not nearly as important to Miami students and alum. If you’re planning on joining a fraternity already, and are considering business, I get the feeling that texas tech seems like a good place</p>

<p>Don’t call your fraternity a frat.</p>

<p>Also, if you’re concerned about money, is being in a fraternity really a good idea? Dues for fraternities, depending on the school, can run upwards of $2000 per SEMESTER. No matter how many connections you may get from being in a fraternity, can you justify paying that much for it when you’re already concerned about finances? Just food for thought.</p>