Is HCSSIM a good summer camp compared to Mathly, PROMYS, Ross, Math Camp?

I’ve heard a lot of discussion about promys, ross, mathcamp, etc. how about HCSSIM? is it as prestige as promys, ross, mathcamp? how about mathly? Could someone please rank math summer camps based on prestige? Thanks!

Here is my view from 3 years ago:

Tier 1: RSI. I know it’s not a math only camp, but it’s the number one math/science camp out there, and some students do math stuff there. Students who get this are pretty much a lock for multiple top ten colleges.

Tier 2: MathCamp Canada USA. This is the most respected math camp.

Tier 3: ROSS/PROMYS/Simons. All of these are very good. Simons is not math only, but like RSI, people can do math there.

Tier 4: MathIly/HCCSIM. High quality instruction at both, but not particularly difficult admissions. Note that Hampshire College is always at the precipice of bankruptcy, so that’s something to think about.

Tier 5: Awesome Math: Good quality instruction, but basically open admission.

why si HCCSIM in both tier 4 and 5?

could you please tell us how this affect summer camp? thanks!

HCCSIM should have only been in tier 4. Regarding Hampshire’s financial situation, it matters because if they go bankrupt, they may cancel the summer program on short notice.

Really?! Didn’t know they are that bad. Is it the college or the summer camp that is bankrupting?

It is the college, but the camp uses its grounds. Here is some recent information about Hampshire. Sounds like they are improving.

https://www.bizjournals.com/boston/news/2022/01/04/hampshire-college-gets-major-fundraising-boost.html

1 Like