Is IB/PIB worth taking over ap classes

^^^^^^

also my school makes us take PIB for 2/1 years then we can take IB

Short answer - it depends. If the HS offers both IB and AP, usually the applicant following the full IB diploma gets an automatic “most demanding” designation on their transcript, while students not in the IBDP, whether taking IB and/or AP courses, often have to take a boatload of IB and/or AP courses to qualify for the same designation…

If not pursuing the IBDP, it really depends on which courses are offered in each and what the student’s future plans are.

The IB Diploma is far better if one wants the optionality of non-U.S. universities.

It depends on want you want out of the courses. I have kids on both tracks.
– It is somewhat easier to get college credit with APs, except for a handful of colleges that give a lot of credit for the full IBD (check each college, it varies a lot.)

– If you want to specialize it’s hard in a IBD program to do that. The focus is on well-roundedness.
– I believe IBD is better prep for college coursework.
– At our school the IB offerings are very limited and AP are plentiful. But that is school dependent.

– If you are not well-organized with long term time management skills and ability/discipline to stay on track without daily assignments, IB is not for you.
– If writing just isn’t your thing…IBD is not for you.

Hope this helps. I have an IBD student, a PIB student, and an AP student. They are different people and have each chosen the right paths for them. Ther’s no one right answer to your question.

From my experience with IB diploma recipients, many of them don’t feel that the diploma helped distinguish them. Depending on what state you are in, IB may or may not be well recognized. In my state, there’s only a few high schools that have IB (the rest have AP), so colleges don’t really care about it that much. Therefore, my friends with the IB diploma don’t really feel like it was worth the effort. Chances are if you are deciding between an IB and AP course, you aren’t going for the IB diploma anyways.

My school has IB and AP. I found that AP was a better structure for me and much easier to convert to college credit. Most colleges will take AP exam scores for college credit; not all schools will accept an IB exam score, and if they do, it usually has to be very high.

I would pick AP over an IB course. I also feel that AP courses better prepared me for the SAT and other AP exams. Not sure if that holds any truth, but I did feel that way.

Check with the colleges you’re applying to and see whether or not they will accept the courses for credit. Then decide.

Good luck! :smiley:

I currently take IB and I’ve also self studied AP courses. For me, I found IB far more difficult to do well in. On average, the curve in IB is also harder - only 2% of students get a 7 in English Lit HL for example compared to 6-7% in AP. Contrary to the earlier poster, I felt that IB actually helped me more than AP when studyng for my SATs - it really depends on person to person.

Personally, I found that IB is going to much better prepare me for university, and if you are at all considering studying abroad (e.g. UK/Europe, Canada, etc.) then I would highly recommend IB.