IS IB worth it?

<p>Hello I am an IB full diploma student... Is IB worth it? I am struggling getting A's, and I feel like I have no time to study for other things like the SAT, or free time, etc...
Those are my grades:</p>

<p>IB Biology HL 75
IB History HL 74 or 75
IB English HL 83
IB Math Studies 93
Tok 96
IB French SL 94
IB Economics SL 85 (But it will get higher probbly an 93 or 90 soon)</p>

<p>I know I got two C's which are very bad, and my grades for HL classes are very low, for Biology, we will have a quiz next week and I am planning to study very hard (I really like the topic anyway), and for English I can make up some stuff, but for History we have a quiz every time we have class, and it's very hard to get A every time, I just failed one of the quiz because I was absent, and then I had to do two quizzes on the same day, and I have problems talking in front of people because I am shy... Should I drop IB? Is it really worth it? I want to get into NYU or Columbia and major in Biology and become a researcher or doctor, I am really into Genetics... At what grades do colleges usually look at? </p>

<p>The second marking period is not over yet I could try to apply really hard to turn my C's into B's but it's hard anyway, and I feel like I can't speak in front of people and get a zero every time for those presentations... But it's just for my History class, because for english we have IOPs and I did talk in those...</p>

<p>Furthermore I am a sophomore (I am planing on graduating in 2015), so taking the IB diploma it's very overwhelming... But I really want to get into top schools. At my school, we can just do the whole diploma.</p>

<p>My daughter is a senior in the IB Diploma program and because of all its requirements she really didn’t have time to do much of anything else. We are waiting on college admissions now and I feel she would have been better off in an AP program.
Subject tests are more aligned with the AP curriculum not IB courses.
I wish she had more free time and had spent it on more SAT prep instead.
She would have more time on her plate to do the things she enjoyed instead always trying to fulfill IB diploma requirements. There was no break over the summer and as a parent I thought it was overwelming. Right now she is just trying to do her best to graduate since she almost done with most of the graduation requirements. I would say it was a very stressful four years which I wish she had enjoyed a little bit. She definitely deserves a nice vacation after all this work.
Most of the colleges only give credit for HL classes not SL. She would have gotten more credits with the AP program. Yet at the same time there are those who truly enjoyed the program. She did learn a lot and I believe is prepared for college work.</p>

<p>My daughter wants to do premed/biology too. I would have preferred the IB certificate instead so that she could have taken more IB science courses that were of interest to her rather than having to take TOK. In AP you can pick and choose which AP courses you want to take and they are only one year long. IB classes are two years long. Also it is hard to find IB tutors while it is easy to find AP tutors or books if needed.</p>

<p>IB is not designed as an American college prep. Add to the extreme burden and a student can’t study for SATs, visit colleges, etc. Understand this well, when IB brags about college, it is that college is easier because an IB student is used to a heavier work load. My D is in IB, she is up to 2am and still not getting the grades she did before IB high school. AP and IB are the same to colleges. AP students have a life, AND can prepare for college the correct way. IB students are better students and smarter…ok that might be true. Consider this though: IB SELECTS their students from the best applicants. My D close friend was rejected by IB, but will be Valedictorian at her high school, play sports, have a life, and has a good chance at MIT or another elite. IB would have been too hard to allow that. 4 other friends had better middle school scores and got into IB. All 5 are dedicated students, but the 1 that IB rejected has the most to show for her work.</p>

<p>IB is not focused on the student. It is focused on making the “World IB” happy and meeting the World IB standards. IB administrators and job scores are not tied to the student’s outcomes…just their own standards, not college standards.</p>

I don’t mean to be rude at all, but I think you have the wrong idea about the diploma program. First, it’s NOT true that us IB students have no life, nor is it true that we get no test prep. We have CAS, which is designed so that a student may be well rounded in volunteering, sports, etc. and NOT be a bookworm, which is VERY MUCH in line with what colleges want (just ask admissions officials to the highly selective colleges whether they prefer a bookworm or a well-rounded student). As for test prep, the SAT’s and ACT’s are merely a testament as to what your pure skills are. While you can specialize your efforts in understanding what they specifically ask in those tests, for the most part, your test prep comes from your English, Math, and Science (if you’re doing ACT) classes which refine the skills that you need to succeed on any standardized test, as the SAT and ACT differ in their questions every year so it’s nearly impossible to know what exactly to expect on those tests. Also, IB DOES NOT just SELECT their applicants. In your sophomore year, you have the option to pursue the diploma or not. Doesn’t matter what your background is. There are no prerequisites for the DP program; all you have to be is in 11th grade. All in all, while colleges SAY that AP and IB are on equal terms with each other, I would even go as far as to say that colleges prefer IB students because the diploma program DOES IN FACT prepare a student extremely well for college and for life beyond college, and is true proof that a student is well rounded and doesn’t just study. When you’re in the workforce, you need to have both the raw knowledge (which is what AP specializes in) AND analytical skills (something that IB focuses on, ALONG with raw knowledge). Lastly, bear this in mind. Sophomore year, I’ve had 2 AP classes (stats and US History), and they put A LOT more stress on me than my 6 IB subjects have combined so far.

Hi, current college student, with her IB Diploma here. IB is great… in theory. But in reality, you get students like me: walked for a while? Action. Went to a History Club trip? Creativity. Knocked out my Service hours in the summer between junior and senior years, working around my summer assignments. Sports weren’t going to happen. The two people who did a sport (track) in my IB class suffered greatly for it. They both go to our state school, and only one of them qualified for any type of scholarship. No athletic ones, just one or two small academic ones.

IB does prepare you for the workload, in the sense that I can crank out papers like nobody’s business. 5 page paper due tomorrow? Done in an hour and a half, solid A-/B+. But in the sense of knowing things, like Biology facts or how to do Calculus? The AP students at my uni are walking all over me and my fellow IB-ers. If you want to pursue a STEM major, drop IB for AP.

I will add, you really need to look into classes/help for your speaking issues in front of people. I don’t think anyone likes it, but when you’re getting zeroes because you can’t give a presentation, that’s a big problem that will cause your college GPA to suffer greatly. Leaving IB won’t get you out of presenting things.

As for dorfdude mentioning SAT/AP scores being just as good with IB, I think you’re ignoring the discrepancies between the subject tests. Those are not for IB students, period.

You da real MVP for graduating two years early. Anyways, why would you quit now? Graduation is literally right around the corner. :smiley:

D is a senior in the IB Diploma Program. She has maintained a 4.1 UW, just received her mid-term grades of 3 A+s and 4 A’s and is completing her extended essay this week and her GS Gold Award in the next month or so. She is in the #1 school in the state, #4 in the Northeast, #18 in the Nation (according to US News). The IB program is great for kids who feel academics are fun (which she does) and rewarding. She doesn’t have a lot of down time but I insist that she spend at least a few hours each week socializing with her friends. She also works part time and does a couple hours of community service each week.

So, the downside for us…her GPA is crazy good, nearly 5.0 W from what I understand. Her predicted IB score is 42 out of 45. BUT, and its a big but because its become a primary focus right now, is her inability to score higher on standardized testing. She took the SAT and did under 2000 so took the ACT which she bombed. Took the SAT again for a 2070 but under 700 on both subject tests. Took the SAT for a 3rd time and dropped back 20 points. New subject tests scores are due in two weeks or so. Of most concern is the CR scores, she hasn’t been able to get them past 600 which is definately going to work AGAINST her for alot of her school choices. I just can’t wrap my brain around her inability to score higher. She strongly feels that her IB has not prepared her sufficiently for the standardized tests and she did not have the time to study because of her current commitments. Take that for what you will.

This would not have swayed her choice to enroll in the IB school but she would have prepared more for the testings and started earlier. Guess she (and I) never considered it would be an issue.

DS has a full IB diploma and is now a senior in college. He still says that getting the full IB diploma was not worth the stress and extra time. In hindsight, he wishes he had taken mostly IB courses but not bothered with the full diploma.

If you are graduating with an IB diploma as a sophomore… In theory, you can do two years of AP courses before applying for college. If you get solid AP scores and do well on the SAT, having a lower but still full IB diploma can only enhance your application. And doing both gets you familiar with both types of learning styles. Good luck!

Well always remember that “IB” doesn’t always equate to “IB Diploma.” You can always get the certificate, which would be on par with an AP course, without committing to the whole CAS/TOK/extended essay spiel.

IB Diploma just isn’t right for some people either, especially people who want to specialize in one field. IB is very bureaucratic and has a lot of rules, so taking too many HL courses or not enough courses in various areas can shunt you off the Diploma track. If you don’t want that fine art, those grinding years in a language, or any other element of the IB Diploma, choose your courses à la carte instead.

Hey there, I just wanted to ask you, so the ib doesn’t help you in any field related skills. Doesn’t teach how to use calculators, doesn’t teach math or science in advanced placement , and so basically what your saying is the ib doesn’t help for anything but writing? Another question: I really don’t want this to sound rude but is it hard learning biology facts and we’ll facts in college, wouldn’t the ib prepare you for that? Another question (thanks so much btw) would you recommend ib for a future career in business related fields or accounting ? Thanks :slight_smile: