Is Irvine harder to get into than Davis?

<p>At least that is what the statistics suggest</p>

<p>UCI
Avg GPA: 4.01
Admit rate: about 42%
Avg SAT: 1873
Avg ACT: 27</p>

<p>UCD
Avg GPA: 4.00
Admit Rate: 46%
Avg SAT: 1887
Avg ACT: 28</p>

<p>So it would seem as if the test scores in Davis are slightly higher, but doesnt the lower admit rate of Irvine suggest it being harder to get into? Also personally, what have you guys seen?</p>

<p>Thanks</p>

<p>You have to realize UCI has more applicants than UCD, so they have to technically reject more. I’ve heard UCD admissions decisions are weirder <em>some friends got rejected from UCD but got in UCSD</em></p>

<p>well uci gets a bit more but its still weird, i mean despite that their accep % is lower</p>

<p>Holy crap, dude. Have you ever taken a statistics course?</p>

<p>You do know that those two are essentially identical, right?</p>

<p>ok oyama, so youre basically telling me (in a very dick-like manner) that if I got into Irvine, ill pretty much get into davis too?</p>

<p>Looking at two similar distributions doesn’t guarantee anything, but does imply that given you get into one, the likelihood of you getting into the other is greater than chance.</p>

<p>i dont think UCI is harder to get into than UCD. But every school has their own system, and it may also depend on the person reviewing your app? I personally was admitted to sb, sd, d but got rejected from I. iono XD um… you also have to realize that UCD has less applicants, and a much bigger school (they admit more students)</p>

<p>i always had the impression that davis was harder to get into that irvine but i’m not basing that on much</p>

<p>Wow. Be nice guys.
I got into both these schools this year and my stats are really below average.
I got into Davis because of the ELC program.
As for Irvine, I still got in.
ELC only guaranteed that I got acceptance into one UC, which was Davis.
So, I’d say Davis is relatively easier to get into only because they had to accept me automatically.</p>

<p>well if they accept all the ELCers how many spots do u think that leaves for non-ELC^ ?</p>

<p>Last year I was guaranteed acceptance by ELC to get into both. Can’t we just say they’re similarly difficult to get into?</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>The first part is incorrect. ELC means guaranteed acceptance to every ELC guarantee school to which you send $60. Last year the ELC schools were SB, Davis, Irvine, Riverside & Merced, so if you sent money to all you would be accepted to all if you were ELC. </p>

<p>Footnote: some specialized programs such as Theater do not participate in the ELC program bcos they require an audition. But, ELC is good for letters & sciences (or equivalent).</p>

<p>Basically, Irvine has 0.1 higher GPA, and a slightly lower admit rate. Irvine also received 37,359 applications, whereas Davis received 32,957. Davis average SAT is higher than Irvine’s, and so is the ACT score. I’d say those two more than compensate for the .1 GPA difference, so I’d say Davis is tougher. (It is also ranked above Irvine)</p>

<p>Full Stats: [University</a> of California Office of the President](<a href=“http://www.ucop.edu/news/studstaff.html]University”>http://www.ucop.edu/news/studstaff.html)</p>

<p>Since each campus has its own weighting of the factors that are included, it makes for a lower correlation of admissions offers to straight stats. Compare the factors they evaluate and you will find some that are used by one campus but not the other. UCI looks for geographic and school variety as a factor, Davis does not. Further, the weighting is often different. One applicant may get an offer from UCI, while the other gets an offer only from UCD, based on the individual mix of stats and context they each have. I have copied bits of each schools selection factors below:</p>

<p>UCDavis:</p>

<p>Academic Criteria (approximately 80% of the total weight)
Grade point average (GPA) calculated on all academic coursework completed in the 10th and 11th grades in the subject areas specified by the university eligibility requirements (“a-g” subjects), weighted for up to eight additional semesters of university-certified honors courses*, capped at 4.50
Scores on UC-required standardized tests (ACT plus Writing or SAT Reasoning, and two SAT Subject Exams in two different subject areas)
Number of “a-g” semester courses completed beyond 35
Identification as Eligible in the Local Context (ELC): ranked in the top 4 percent of the high school class by the end of the junior year, as determined by the academic criteria established by the University of California
Sustained, active participation in academic preparation or enrichment programs
Marked academic improvement in the 9th through 11th grades

• Includes university-approved honors courses, Advanced Placement courses, designated International Baccalaureate (IB) courses and transferable college courses completed with a grade of C or better.</p>

<p>Non-Academic Criteria (approximately 20% of the total weight)
Demonstrated recognized leadership roles in extracurricular activities
Demonstrated special talents or skills at the school, community, regional, state or national level that indicate the applicant’s promise for contributing to the intellectual vitality of the campus
Perseverance in unusually challenging circumstances
Successful management of a significant disability
First generation college attendance
Achievement at a low performing high school
Qualification for participation in the Educational Opportunity Program (EOP)
Nontraditional college applicant
Veteran or member of the military</p>

<p>UCI:</p>

<p>High school grade point average in UC-required courses
Standardized test scores
Number of, content of and performance in academic courses completed beyond the University’s minimum eligibility requirements
Number of, and performance in honors and AP courses
Being identified as “eligible in the local context” by ranking in the top 4 percent of the high school class, as determined by the University’s academic criteria
Quality of the senior year program, as measured by the type and number of academic courses in progress or planned
Quality of academic performance relative to educational opportunities available in the applicant’s school
Outstanding performance in one or more academic subject areas
Outstanding work in one or more special projects in any academic field
Recent marked improvement in academic performance
Special talents, achievements, and awards in a particular field, or experiences that demonstrate unusual promise for leadership or ability to contribute to the intellectual vitality of the campus
Completion of special projects that offer significant evidence of an applicant’s special effort and determination or that may indicate special suitability to an academic program on a specific campus
Academic accomplishments in light of an applicant’s experiences and circumstances, such as disabilities, low family income, first generation to attend college, need to work, disadvantaged social or educational environment, difficult personal and family situations or circumstances, refugee status or veteran status
Location of the applicant’s secondary school and residence, to provide for geographic diversity in the student population and to account for the wide variety of educational environments existing in California</p>

<p>Davis also looks at geographic and school variety, they just use a different term for it (achievement at a low performing high school). The criteria for the two is the same, and they’re admit rates are close, not the same but close.</p>

<p>I’m a junior at UCI.</p>

<p>I remember getting rejected from Davis first though. It is true, admissions do seem random at times. Now I’ve gotta do the same thing for grad school ALL over again. =((((((((((((((</p>