Is it a good idea to go to UC Merced and then switch to UC Berkeley after 2 years?

Although I’m only a junior in high school I have mildly started looking at colleges. Although my grades aren’t good enough to get into UC Berkeley, there is a chance that I will be accepted to UC Merced, should I go to UC Merced (if I get accepted) and then transfer over to Berkeley after two years? I’m out of state by the way.

In most cases, if you go to a four year school as a frosh, it should be one that you are willing to stay at and graduate from.

Note that UCs do not give need-based financial aid to out-of-state students; merit scholarships exist but are rare. UCM is the only UC where there is a WUE discount for students from the western region of the US.

In another thread, you mention a 2.3 HS GPA. You need a 3.4 HS GPA (recalculated by the UC method with limited weighting) to be eligible for admission as an out-of-state student at any UC.

@ucbalumnus but doesn’t admission also depend on other factors?

Yes, UC frosh admission depends on many factors, but you need to meet the hard minimum requirements including a 3.4 (recalculated) HS GPA (for out-of-state; 3.0 for in-state). In addition, HS GPA is the most important of many factors in UC frosh admission.

https://admission.universityofcalifornia.edu/admission-requirements/freshman-requirements/

Here is the UC GPA calculator and you need as stated above a minimum 3.4 Capped Weighted GPA to apply. UC’s only use 10-11th grades for the a-g course requirements.

https://rogerhub.com/gpa-calculator-uc/

For OOS applicants, only AP and IB classes taken 10-11th grades are given the extra honors points (weighting) in the calculation. OOS HS designated Honors classes do not get weighted.

Here is what UC Merced considers in their application review:

• MERCED

• Very important: Academic GPA, Application essay, Rigor of secondary school record, Standardized test scores
  • Important: Class rank (in-state ELC eligibility) , Extracurricular activities, Talent/ability
  • Considered: Character/personal qualities, First generation college student, Geographical residence, Level of applicant's interest, State residency, Volunteer work, Work experience
  • Note: Academic record and test scores determine eligibility.

I’m not a UC grad or expert, but I live in California. It’s always been my understanding that the UC system doesn’t like transfers between its campuses, and that it’s easier to get into a place like Berkeley from a California community college than it would be from UC Merced. That’s for in-state residents, though. I don’t know how it works for an out-of-state student studying in California.

Priority is given to in-state CC transfers for the UC’s. UC to UC transfers and CSU to UC transfers are next, followed by Private CA schools then finally OOS schools.

Based on what you have posted, you will not qualify to apply to any UC as a Freshman so the UCM to UCB transfer option is moot at this time.

I would focus on doing well the rest of the your Junior year, see where you stand with your GPA and then find schools where you stats put you at or above the averages.

UCM 2019 Freshman profile is below:

UC Capped weighted GPA: 3.73 (3.45-4.00) 25-75th percentile

SAT 25th-75th percentile: 1020-1290

ACT 25th-75th percentile: 18-26

“I’m out of state by the way”

I do not personally believe that UC Merced is worth the cost for an out of state student. Of course your budget and whatever other options you have might be quite different from what applies to my family.

Right now your priority should be to increase your high school GPA (not including avoiding or surviving the coronavirus – an entirely different issue). Extracurricular activities are not going to make up for a 2.3 high school GPA. You need to make a full commitment to academics and see what you can do.

Also, with a 2.3 high school GPA you are not likely to get admitted to UC Merced, or any UC.

You are likely to need to start at community college. When you do this you need to make a commitment to attend every class, always pay attention, and always stay ahead in your class work. Seek out help early when you need it.

Whatever you can do to pull up your GPA for the rest of this year and for all of next year will help you down the road.