Is it bad for college if you do some IB classes but you don't get the diploma?

<p>For example, I would like to take some IB classes like HL Math and HL Biology. But other than that, I would prefer to take regular and AP classes. Will colleges think you are lazy if the IB is offered but you don't do it?</p>

<p>Well, it looks like you said your school has both IB and AP. I think when you send your applications, your counselor checks off some boxes that either say most rigorous course load, somewhat rigorous course load, or not rigorous (I really don’t know what they say exactly </p>

<p>Yes my school has AP and IB.</p>

<p>YES. Do the AP IB route. This is called certificate IB. What do you need 2 years of hard history for if you want to pursue education in the sciences? Talk to your counselor about WHY you aren’t taking Ib and how your classes are competitive. Side note: AP classes are harder than SLs and AP sciences are harder than IB HLs</p>

<p>Colleges have no idea whether or not you get the diploma because you get it in July after your senior year, way after you’ve been accepted to colleges and have decided where to go. Take AP to get college credit easier. I personally think AP exams are easier than most IB HL exams and only slightly more difficult than IB SL exams.</p>

<p>No it won’t make much of a difference to colleges IF your counselor ticks off the most rigorous course load box on your applications. If that box isn’t ticked off your chances at top college might be hindered as they expect students to have taken the most rigorous course load available to them. </p>

<p>If you are an ib diploma candidate it is noted when your counselor sends the recommendation letter with transcript.
In our school IB diploma candidates were checked off as taking the most rigorous curriculum.
Talk to your counselor. If you are thinking of majoring in something STEM take AP math and science classes.
My daughter is completing her ib diploma program and overall it is more rigorous than AP. </p>

<p>No, colleges don’t care. They don’t spend a lot of time looking at your trancripts. They do care a lot about your SAT/ACT score though.</p>

<p>Thanks for the help everyone. I’ll talk to the counselors when course selection comes along since I’m currently a sophomore.</p>