Is it difficult to do both rush and Outdoor Action?

<p>I was really interested in doing Outdoor Action, but it’s the same week as rush, which I am definitely doing! I was wondering if it was difficult to do both? I’m not really as worried about being tired out as I am with the time constraints and such. I’m just scared I won’t be able to make it to some of the ice water teas and such, making me an easy cut…Would I have to miss any of the rush events? And how many other girls typically do both?</p>

<p>I always got the impression that it was next to impossible.</p>

<p>It has been done before. Quite honestly I would not suggest you try to do both. Most recruitment parties are held during the day. You will miss parties. Panhellenic holds a special party for those girls who will miss recruitment events. It is usually held in the evening of Day 1 of Ice Water Teas. The sororities will send their recruitment chairs as well as some members over to meet and talk with you. It’s my opinion that unless you have an amazing resume, terrific recs and some connections to the sororities that your options will be limited. You should call and talk with Panhellenic. They can give you more definitive answers as to how many girls have actually done this and be successful. They also may be able to give you advice as to whether doing both will be too difficult. I know of a mom who is on here whose daughter did AA (at least I think it was AA) her freshman year and also did recruitment and received a bid. If you were my daughter I would advise you to choose one or the other.</p>

<p>since alabama places every girl who maximizes options, then i think it would be very possible to end up with a bid. it may not be from the sorority of your choice, but if you haven’t been going through formal rush and all the tent talk, you might not have as much of an opinion of which ones you preferred anyway.</p>

<p>idk if it would work the same for a girl who was not able to attend all the rush events, though. i would check on that, if i were you.</p>

<p>sunshine, I’d advise against trying to do both. Even though you aren’t worried about being tired, I’m not sure you realize how completely exhausting recruitment can be. Outdoor Action is also tiring and time-consuming. I would think you’d want to be able to present your best self for recruitment and not be distracted, detained or drained by the additional activity. College is definitely a place that you will be weighing your options and having to make choices with your limited time.</p>

<p>I know of a few women who participated in Alabama or Outdoor Action and rushed, but it was very difficult and time consuming for them. Part of the reason that there is an earlier Camp 1831 section is to accommodate those participating in other activities during the week before school such as rush.</p>

<p>I believe Omama’s D is one of the last young ladies to successfully complete both AA and sorority recruitment, and that was in 2009. You may want to send her a PM and ask about her D’s experience.</p>

<p>Okay thank you all! Rush is more important to me, and I guess I shouldn’t shortchange that…I do think my resume is pretty good, but most of my recs will be from northern sorority girls (most of whom I don’t know personally), and I have zero connections to the sororities because I live up north, so I guess I’ll have to skip out on OA!</p>

<p>You could go to the first session of Camp 1831 instead? [First</a> Year Experience](<a href=“http://fye.ua.edu/tcamp.cfm]First”>http://fye.ua.edu/tcamp.cfm)</p>

<p>Sunshine,</p>

<p>My D did do AA and rush in 2009. She loved AA and meeting incoming honors students. She still stays in contact with many of them. Because of AA she was offered a emerging scholars opportunity. ( But I believe the application for Emerging Scholars has changed.)
That said she felt comfortable enough to know Bama was going to work out with or without being greek.</p>

<p>During rush she did have a evening tea with all of the houses rush chairs and presidents.
Then she would try to go to rush events between her AA schedule. AA was over during the last part of rush. I do remember that D had 3 houses to go to for preference.</p>

<p>She liked all of the houses. She felt she could find a group to be close with being that their are so many girls in the chapters at UA. She did get her #1 choice and has been happy as can be all 4 years at UA.</p>

<p>My D s pledge class (I’m sure this is true in all houses at UA) is very close. She has meet remarkable young women and been welcomed into sorority sisters homes across the south. She is also friends with many girls in many houses.</p>

<p>I know last year there were a number of girls who did both. D went with the rush chair and pointed out…these are the type of girls we want. They are in honors and are already doing service work. I believe many were extended bids.</p>

<p>For my D it was the best of both worlds. Best of luck in your recruitment!</p>