Is it difficult to get into core classes at Va Tech (or elsewhere)

<p>I recently heard from a parent that the demand for core classes in science often exceeds the supply of seats, so much so that it is common for students at Va. Tech to stay beyond four years. To deal with the problem, his daughter decided to take a physics class during the summer at a satellite school of Va. Tech (in northern Va), which he was not crazy about. Are there any data to support to this assertion or are impressions like this one all anecdotal? Thanks in advance.</p>

<p>I am a Biochemistry major at Virginia Tech and I’m gonna say that’s kind of true. I wouldn’t say that is the reason people stay for more than 4 years though. That probably has more to do with people taking only 12 credits a semester and partying too hard and then realizing they’re missing some requirements in the end. With the typical 15 a semester, you should have no problem finishing on time. </p>

<p>It is not hard to get into a core class, but I’ve found it very difficult to get the teachers and times that I wanted. To give you an example, I often take a max load each semester: 19 credits. I’ll request 19 credits and get only 10 credits with teachers I really didn’t want! Then you basically have to spam refresh for weeks on drop/add in attempt to get the good teachers and class times. It’s a pain in the ass. You then realize your efforts are futile and get stuck with 8AMS M-F like myself! -_- However, I’ve heard joining the honors program gives you a much better chance to get the classes you want. I was simply too lazy to do it and wish I had earlier.</p>

<p>Also, I couldn’t even get into a Physics lab this semester because they were all full/caused conflicts with classes that I needed. </p>

<p>So yeah, kind of a *****.</p>

<p>Thanks, drjenkins. My guess is that most profs do not want an 8am slot, either, but some may be juggling teaching and family responsibilities. It is hard to tell whether that the problem that the school does not enough seats at 10am (vs 8am) or not enough seats with an effective teacher.</p>

<p>If anything my professors for 8ams were better, but that may have been because the only reason I would take an 8am was so I could get a better professor.</p>