Is it easier to get into SUNY Binghamton if you live in NYS

just wondering…

It’s cheaper, but you already knew that.

If it comes to a choice between two applicants with almost identical qualifications and ECs, I think being an in-state applicant will help you. Some schools have a limit on how many OOS students they accept, simply because they are, at the end of the day, aiming to serve mostly students in their state/area.

Interestingly enough, though, [this article](College Admissions: Which State Schools Give an Edge to Out-of-State Students) says that more state schools are accepting OOS applicants.

I have to disagree. Based on what I have seen with Naviance and admitted/rejected stats, it is easier to gain admission if you live out of state. Simply stated, Binghamton wants the OOS tuition (about 15k more) and a more diverse student body.

I understand where you’re coming from. Money-crunched state colleges would welcome OOS applicants who are willing to shell out more money than IS applicants. I would add, though, it wouldn’t make much sense for a state university to accept so many OOS applicants that a majority of its student body isn’t a resident of the state (not sure if that’s ever happened?)

As a side note, do you know if more elite colleges (HYPSMCBD) tend to accept more OOS applicants or not? @itsajoke

I don’t think our state residents are competing with OOS students. I think they’re in separate pools.

The admissions standards are actually a little less stringent for outofstate applicants, as Binghamton wants the outofstate tuition which is about $10,000 higher than instate. And it wants to increase geographic diversity. However, it offers merit aid to high stat outofstate applicants to make the cost almost the same as instate. This has the effect of increasing the geographic diversity while not lessening admissions standards.
@mohammadmohd18 There are some state flagships–University of Alabama-Tuscaloosa, for example, that have more outofstate students than instate residents/students. University of Michigan in Ann Arbir now has about 40% of the students being from outofstate versus instate.

@austinmshauri, I don’t think the AdComms take geographic location into much account when they are reviewing applications. They focus on actual merit, and decide the applicant’s status based on their application, largely aside from geographic location.

(I think.)

@mohammadmohd18, Not only do they take geographic location into account, different regions have different [admissions counselors.](Connect with Us | Undergraduate Admissions | Binghamton University) Separating apps by region doesn’t preclude consideration based on merit. It does allow adcoms to consider apps in context. The applications of students who come from poorer districts will be looked differently than those who come from more well to do districts. I don’t believe OOS students are competing with state residents for spots at our schools; I think they’re competing against other OOS students.

From what I know, if you live in the same province as the college you’re applying for, your’e probably more likely to get in. Colleges look at a variety of things before admitting. The reason why this is so is because it takes more money and more space for an international or out of state student to come in because they need a dorm (there is limited space) and you need housing and all of that stuff. And one important thing is that many people out of state might apply so they would compare you to another student who doesnt live in state. Hypothetically speaking, lets say that you are a good student, great grades, pretty good SAT score etc. And lets say another student who might live in texas applies to SUNY and they also have grades, and SAT score similar to yours. How would they tell which to choose since you guys are so alike? well you probably have a higher chance of getting in cause you have more advantages since you live in the state and its near by you, plus you dont need a dorm (hopefully). But this is just hypothetical… Where you live is probably the last thing they look at. They look at your transcript and then your resume to decide. The only time you will be considered based on where you live is if theyre is competition between students with identical applications.

It is a little easier to get in from out of state. Like other people have said, they want the out of state tuition and the geographic diversity. It’s not a huge advantage but it can be helpful especially if you want to get into SoM.

@sprinkles12 thanks. What’s SoM

SoM is the school of management. If you want to study business, finance or accounting you basically have to apply directly to SoM as a freshman (or transfer). I would not recommend going in undecided and then trying to switch to business. It’s an uphill battle as an intra-university transfer. A lot of companies recruit from SoM and the accounting program is pretty well regarded.

I was accepted today and I’m from out of state.

@arimazlef Congrats!