Is it easy to switch from electromechanical engineering to mechanical engineering

I got accepted to Cal Poly Pomona for Electromechancial Engineering but I want to switch as soon as possible to Mechanical Engineering, will that be an issue at all?

Here is the change of major criteria for ME. Note that you need a minimum of 30 semester units so you are looking at the earliest would be Fall of Sophomore year since ME is impacted.

During freshman orientation, when you meet with your academic advisor, plan out your schedule to meet the requirements. Also ask the department that if you meet all the requirements, would you be guaranteed a spot.

Mechanical Engineering**

Requirements for Lower-Division and Upper-Division Students

• 3.2 CPP, Overall and courses in ME Core GPA
  • B or better in MAT 1140, MAT 1150, PHY 1510 and PHY 1510L
  • Completed at least 30 semester units at CPP
  • Requests must be submitted to the department office by the 5th week of spring semester

https://www.cpp.edu/studentsuccess/guides/changeofmajor/requirements.shtml

1 Like

Thank you so much this is a big help!! I appreciate it!!

1 Like

https://www.cpp.edu/studentsuccess/guides/changeofmajor/requirements.shtml

The difference between impacted and non-impacted: If a major is impacted, it means that Change of Major requests are only processed to be effective in the fall semester, and are subject to available space.

So, it is no guarantee even you exceed the requirement. I believe it is easier to transfer within college of engineering. My son is in a similar situation and we need to make the decision soon.

Hello Gumbymom, any inputs for the track record for ME major change at CPP within college of engineering. Thanks!

Sorry, cannot comment on how successful students are in changing into the ME major. It would best to call the department and ask. My nephew whom is a current CPP student tried switching from Physics to CS which was not an option so he changed into CIS instead.

1 Like

Thanks, just emailed them and see if they will provide any data.

Did you hear anything? My son is in the same situation. Getting in touch with admission wasn’t helpful. They told him to wait after the first year. But after looking at the roadmap for both majors, the classes are different. I also wish he could start in Mechanical Eng right away!

I did not get any replies from mechanical engineering department. My son does not want the uncertainty to change to ME major one year later, especially it is a impacted one. So he committted to another school.

1 Like

My son feels the same way. Every answers we have gotten from the school do not look positive, and if he is approved to change it may add a year. Thank you for your reply!

1 Like