Is it easy to transfer from the college of arts and science to Engineering at UPenn?

Trying to figure what happens if after a few months there is a desire to change majors or focus on applied science vs pure physics.

1 Like

There is a process with GPA requirements. Nothing easy.
For example
“ Students who wish to apply for an internal transfer between any of the four undergraduate schools should attend an information session or speak with an advisor in the school to which they are applying. Applicants should be prepared to discuss why the curriculum of the target school is a good fit for their academic interests and goals.

• Students are not eligible for transfer until they have completed 8 c.u. (or two semesters, whichever comes later) at Penn.
  • Applications for internal transfer will not normally be considered after the end of the sophomore year.
  • Students applying for internal transfer must be in good academic standing in their home school and should have no NR’s or I’s on their record.
  • Internal transfers to any of Penn’s undergraduate schools or divisions are not eligible to transfer again within the University.”
    Policies Governing Transfer Within the University | College of Arts & Sciences - University of Pennsylvania

Better to see what Engineering says is needed, including 4 yr plan. Bc may affect whether one decides to take engineering prereqs during freshman year before transferring.

2 Likes

It is easier to transfer from Engineering(Seas) to the college(CAS), so maybe consider applying to Engineering? That being said, the speaker at orientation noted they had the highest number of applicants to Engineering ever this past cycle, and the overall Engineering acceptance rate was 3.2%( inclusive of ED and RD). The College has not historically had such low acceptance rates, though I have not heard a source for the CAS 2027 rates.

2 Likes

If you’re trying to find an easy pathway into SEAS, well, it’s going to be tough. Engineering majors hit the ground running with math and science so you’ll definitely need to take those classes and do well to have any chance of transferring. My freshman SEAS kid is taking math, physics, and chemistry this semester. It’s a heavy load. Also, consider what Penn says:

A student may not transfer into Penn Engineering if their transcript shows that good performance in a Penn Engineering program is unlikely,

I have no insight into how Penn determines whether good performance is likely. My best guess is good rigor with high grades in foundational courses (i.e. math and science).

I have heard of students successfully transferring from SEAS into CAS. Perhaps that would be a better option.

2 Likes

Impressive! Was this shared at the engineering welcome reception? Since S23 did some pre-orientation stuff, my schedule didn’t align with either the reception or the family picnic. So bummed to have missed both events.

1 Like

Yes! The Engineering dean said it in his welcome speech to parents