Is it even worth EDing JHU and crapshooting with such poor academics?

One thing that is worth mentioning: There are many (probably hundreds) of universities that have very good premed programs. Once you graduate from university, when you are applying to medical school they won’t care and won’t ask how you did in high school. Your college / university results will matter. Your references will matter. Your experience in a medical environment will matter. A small number of B’s or even B-'s or C’s in high school will not.

If you attend a university ranked somewhere between lets say 50 and 150, you will still find strong and demanding premed classes. There will still be many very strong students in these classes. You will still get a good preparation for medical school.

If the result of having a small number of disappointing grades in high school is that you are better motivated and a harder working student in university, this might end up being a benefit on the way to be called “Doctor Yanyan09” in a few years.

You have a lot of very high grades in high school. The effort behind these will help you to prepare to do well in university. To me it looks like you are a very strong student and are likely to do well.

No one is perfect.

5 Likes

No other Texas public university that would be relatively inexpensive and guaranteed admission would make you happy to attend?

4 Likes

OP, as I re-read this and your other linked post, I see a diligent, sincere, introspective and strong student who has lost a little bit of his confidence. Everyone loses self-confidence now and then, but please realize that these FEELINGS in no way validate that there are any diminution of your true abilities. Do not let introspection about one’s shortcomings be devolved into self-deprecation; please make sure that your positive attributes are adequately described in your essays, which might be the only determinants in the admission package that are still in your control at this point.

I truly think that you are a competitive candidate at the schools on your list, yes, even at Hopkins, as your research and the LOR from your faculty host at Hopkins should help. Press on.

5 Likes

You are wasting your energy here. Your other thread is a close facsimile of this one. Just apply and see what you get.

3 Likes