Is it hard to get an on-campus job?

title

https://jobcenter.wisc.edu/jobs/browseJobs/1

Also check the Res Halls site.

Not hard. You can get dining hall and residence hall jobs quite easily, at least when my son attended, students had first dibs on dining hall jobs. As a freshman, that means you go a few days early for work training, and are already moved in by the time the rest of the students arrive. Jobs at Union South and Memorial Union also pretty easy to come by, though Library jobs seemed tougher. My kid preferred the jobs through UW because he didn’t have to worry about getting work schedule which conflicted with his classes, whereas a restaurant job on State St might pay better, but if you couldn’t work a longer shift there (which would conflict with classes). you might not get the job.

Library jobs are best IMO. It’s like study hall and you get paid. Maybe 10-12 hours per week; more if you take others slots which are posted on private board. Downside is job is difficult to get and typically only by referral from current worker. At all costs avoid UW catering dept.

I’m an incoming freshmen so I cant really ask around, is it harder to get a job, say like in the dining halls if I don’t have any working experience?

No work experience needed for Res Halls jobs. Priority to dorm residents. I still remember my food service work there.

@Lazy2Thinkname think library job 2nd year but apply when 1st sem. Only requirement for dining hall job is not to be lazy, i.e. show up on time do what you’re told.

A great job is to work in the dorms at the front desk sorting mail, giving directions, etc. If there is appears to be a regular full time person working there during the day, the secret is to become acquainted with that person. At the UW, there are a lot of smaller libraries and reading rooms around campus that also hire student workers.