Is it hard to get residency?

<p>I am an out of state resident who has be accepted to UCSC, I have every intention of making California my long-term home even after I graduate. If I can gain residency after the first year, that will save me 20 grand, I was just wondering if that is really difficult, or if you do all the recommended things (register to vote in Cal., file Cal. resident taxes, reregister your car in Cal., etc) are they reasonable or is it impossible?</p>

<p>It shouldn't be difficult as long as you work with the Office of the University Registrar at UCSC. Be sure to contact them and work with them regarding this issue. information can be found under " Establishing Intent for California Residency" in the USCSC general catalog at UCSC</a> General Catalog 2007-08 - Programs and Courses</p>

<p>I'll have to disagree with UCD Admissions. The attached link is pretty clear: it is virtually impossible to obtain residency for tuition purposes unless your parents move here or you become financially independent, i.e., they can't be paying your tuition bill. </p>

<p>UCD Admissions: small complaint about UC financial aid brochures/material. Every year kids apply from OOS and then apply for finaid only to find out that the OOS fees will not be waived or covered by a grant, (unless they win a Regent's). As a state taxpayer, I can appreciate the policy, but I think UC does a diservice to OOS kids bcos it does not make that finaid policy clear up front. IMO, UC should illustrate its OOS policy with a clear example.</p>

<p>Drew --</p>

<p>Here is the gotcha in the link provided by UCD Admissions-</p>

<p>(6) You are a single undergraduate student and you were not claimed as an income tax deduction by your parents or any other individual for the</p>

<p>two tax years </p>

<p>immediately preceding the term for which you are requesting resident classification, and you can demonstrate </p>

<p>self-sufficiency for those years and the current year. </p>

<p>So, as I understand this, if you: move to CA in July, 2008, and you are matriculating to UCSC in September, 2008, the earliest you could demonstrate "residency for tuition purposes" is July, 2010. This would require that no parent claims you as dependent on EITHER 1/1/08-12/31/08 or 1/1/09-12/31/09 tax returns. You almost must demonstrate that your earnings for those two years are sufficient to have supported you without outside assistance for the period starting in Jan 1, 2008 through July, 2010.</p>

<p>The practical implication of this is that you have to show how you earned enough money on your own to pay for the approx. $38,000 per year in Out of State tuition ($19,000) + reg fees + room/board for those 2.5 years. Now, I know many in-state students work their way through college at in-state reg fees, but that extra $19,000 non-resident tuition could be a back-breaker. </p>

<p>Can anyone confirm my interpretation of Clause 6 please?</p>