Is it possible to bring my HL chem grade from a C to an A? Will a C in one class ruin my chances?

Hello,

I am a junior and have just started the IB program at my school (it’s been a month of school). I’ve been trying my best in chemistry but I have C, my teacher is amazing (no complaints there) I just don’t understand the material. I know that it’s only been a month and that I still have a chance to bring it up but I feel like the first test was indicative of my final grade (as it was one of the easiest tests I’ll be taking these next two years).

I have A’s in the rest of my classes and am confident that I can maintain them. If I stay in IB, will the C in my transcript ruin my chances of going to “good colleges” (ie UCLA, UC Berkeley, UCSD etc)?

I’m considering dropping chem but dropping chem would mine dropping IB and I honestly don’t think I have it in me to quit.

What should I do?

How are you being graded on a letter scale? The IB is 1 to 7.

Despite that, take it from someone who sucks at chemistry! I take SL, but the key to doing well is simple: practice, practice, practice! Watch MSJ Chem videos; he goes exactly by the syllabus for each unit and subunit. I prefer him to Richard Thornley’s videos because MSJ Chem goes slowly. Do past papers which you can find on exam-mate.com – free and sooo awesome. Here, you can sort past paper questions by paper, season, time zone, and unit! Then, understand the mark scheme. Some definitions, let’s say what first ionization energy is, you can learn straight from the mark scheme.

This is how I do well in chem: not because I have some inherent gift when it comes to science, but because I practice a lot.

Thank you for your advice! At my school during the year you are graded on a letter scale then you take the IB test which is from 1-7. I’ll be sure to check out MSJ’s videos!

@annaynay I believe a C is around a 3-4 on the IB 1-7 scale. But yes, your current grade in chemistry will leave an impact upon your transcript. as @lemonsforeyes has mentioned, chemistry is about repetition and practice. Good luck!