Is it possible to change majors

Son is accepted to Look school of Engineering (general-Mechanical) but is really contemplating if he made the right decision and wanted to look into the possibility of changing majors before the fall. Mays is full from what I understand, so the point may be moot. Thoughts?

Not sure if it is possible, at least not with a few clicks of the mouse! At son’s NSC last year there were three colleges you could not transfer into: Architecture, Mays, and Look. So don’t let him try on Howdy and accidentally transfer out of Look.

That being said, if he is certain it may be worth a call as Mays is a tiny bit lower on the major “food chain”.

Thank you for that @Bluemoon3 I tweeted Aggiebound and they replied very quickly with whom to contact on Monday. It is something we really need to discuss before any action is taken. It is just something he has been thinking about. He currently works for a global aerospace company and gets access to work on some pretty cool stuff, but he doesn’t want to be that guy, sitting in a cubical, working on a 2" x 2" section of an F35 wing his whole life. He is very mechanically minded but an entrepreneurial spirit and he thinks business might be a better fit.

look into Industrial Distribution - it is more business oriented and in the engineering dept. It is tough to switch into Mays. It fills first most years. Internal transfers require certain courses & number of units. Transfers just went up to 3.5 GPA to be eligible starting next year. Mine is in BHP, but he looked at engineering too- it is hard to decide. Switching colleges before school starts avoids the transfer requirement, but it is very, very tough. You will not be just clicking a button by any means. Does he have any business experience (like DECA) ?

No business experience through HS. He took 3 years of gateway engineering classes, worked for a civil engineer last summer and currently has an engineering internship during school and will be guaranteed full time every summer. The internship has him thinking that what he is doing is not what he wants to do forever. But, I think he just hasn’t been exposed to it all. This is also the 2nd year of this program partnered with our distract and his supervisor’s first intern, so he is a little awkward. Ok, a lot awkward. Once summer comes, he will get a new boss and will be considered a college intern, instead of a HS kid, I hope things get a little more exciting. He is also limited with what he is allowed to do until he turns 18.
Not sure the Business Certificate that you can get in engineering will be enough for him but maybe some electives could be business classes?

Industrial distribution is a major. http://id.tamu.edu/undergraduate/prospective-students/what-is-id/

Thank You, @AGmomx2 I will for sure have him take a look at it.

@AGmomx2 I just want to thank you for the suggestion of Industrial Distribution. It is not anything he had considered before. He was just sure he was going MechE but has given a lot more thought to things since applying. It has a secondary certificate study abroad program that is Global Distribution. He is really, really excited about the whole major. He was denied (waitlisted/Pace/Cap) from MechE at UT yesterday and was really bummed. Things happen for a reason, as they say, and his mood is much improved today. Thank you for the suggestion. Now, I get to say, Gig 'Em! How nice that sounds!