Is it possible to enroll as a non-degree student on a J1 visa?

Hi.

I understand that most if not all universities do not sponsor visas for international students unless they’re full-time and degree-seeking. I’m looking into a postgraduate certificate program that already sponsors J1, and if by any chance I get in, I’m just wondering if it would be possible to enroll part-time as non-degree student at another university?

Thank you.

What does your J1 visa allow you to do?

You need to check the types of limitations allowed by your J1 visa.

Those visas are very, very specific.

WHY would you do that?

In one of your other threads, you were looking at creative writing second bachelors programs. Is this still your intent?

IIRC, your VISA won’t permit that part time study…but I could be wrong.

Who is funding this?

@happymomof1 your thoughts? This student already will have a bachelors degree…and wants to come to the U.S. from some other country…and do some certificate program and enroll part time as a non-degree student. This is an international student looking at doing post bachelors something.

1 Like

It is likely that your J1 sponsor will keep you very busy, and you won’t have time for much else. You need to find out from that sponsor just exactly what you can and can’t do with that J1. At the community college where I teach, you would be barred from any of the programs supported by federal grant money, and you would be charged out-of-state rates for continuing education courses. I don’t know what would happen if you tried to enroll in a credit division course in non-degree status.

Since you are interested in creative writing, you might be able to find other community organizations that have writing classes or groups you could participate in that don’t award academic credits. Here is one group near where I live. https://www.writer.org/

2 Likes

@kiwibirdie

Who is going to be sponsoring you for your J 1 Visa.

Who is funding and sponsoring your visit?

The school that sponsors you J1 visa is responsible for everything you do. If you get a job, if you move, if you drop a class…that institution has to approve it all. Even if it is allowed, which I don’t think you’d be allowed to enroll at another school, the sponsoring school would have to approve it.

It might be possible for your sponsoring school to make an arrangement for you to take a class at another school, under its registration.

2 Likes