Is it true?

<p>Is it true that UWMadison recalculates your GPA and does not include your Gym grades? Just something i heard, did not know if it is true or not.</p>

<p>no school includes your gym grade...</p>

<p>99.9% it is true only through common sense. Weighted GPAs are calculated different depending on the school so to compare GPAs they have to look at unweighted GPA, although they'll probably keep rigor of courseload in mind. U of Michigan does the same thing.</p>

<p>And of course gym counts for nothing, I really doubt your participation in that 1 week of P.E. basketball is going to help you succeed in college, unless you're a recruited athlete. lol.</p>

<p>Anyone wanna back me up with a source? All I can say is that I also know U of Michigan does these exact things.</p>

<p>When I talked to an admissions conselor at Madison, she said they look at your "unweighted academic" GPA. So gym wouldn't be included in that.</p>

<p>so do other elective grades not count? such as choir, band, interior decorating... things like that? do they only count your core classes (science,math,english,etc..)??</p>

<p>Read the UW admissions website first. It has all the answers to your questions.</p>

<p>dolfan32323, I wish that were true. My high school includes EVERY grade in your cumulative GPA, whether it be from gym, band, choir, or basket weaving. Moreover, they all carry the same weight. My HS is about as average as they come; it is an AVERAGE school for AVERAGE kids! It doesn't matter if you got an "A" in AP Physics or Intro to Fashion--it factors into your GPA exactly the same. Sad but true...</p>

<p>ihavenochance, it really doesn't matter if you school does this, U of W won't. Trust me when I say no college cares about how good you are at P.E.</p>

<p>ihavenochance, I'm certain he was talking about colleges, because they do look at GPA differently that high schools do.</p>

<p>And while you mentioned it, I think that both those classes should have the same weight. Yeah, it factors the same in to your GPA, but the classes you're taking show so much more than that measly 4.0. If you're getting "A"s in AP Physics, as opposed to someone who's getting "A"s in Intro to Fashion and Intro to Basketweaving, who do you think colleges are going to want more?</p>

<p>Colleges want your unweighted GPA anyway. ;p</p>

<p>Colleges will calculate your gpa based on their criteria, UW gives no extra weight to any courses and only counts academic courses. Your HS will use its own method to give you a gpa and class rank, no college can recalculate your class rank. Colleges will also look at the level of diffficulty, compared to that offered by your HS- you won't be penalized if your HS does not offer AP courses, for example, whereas if you don't take advantage of the AP/Honors courses that will also be known (they ask the school for this information).</p>

<p>So do they only calculate your core classes into their own GPA?</p>

<p>I think that's right. I can remember my guidance counselor saying something along those lines.</p>

<p>okay ill be touring in about 2 weeks im sure ill get it straightened out. gahhhh i want to go to madison!!!</p>

<p>ihavenochance- I was referring to colleges. My highschools includes gym in my gpa as well.</p>