Is it worth applying to boarding school for the 11th grade year?

Hello,

To give some insight I am a freshman at a private day school. I have noticed it is past the date in which I could apply for most boarding schools, and I’m not interested in rolling admissions for any schools. My main concern is that I am planning on leaving my school for another during sophomore year. This is due in part for many reasons, but my concern is that boarding schools may think I am hopping schools and cannot stay committed to one. Another one of my concerns is that there may be limited spots for the 11th grade school year and that the process may be to competitive, does anyone know a rough estimate of how many spots top boarding schools such as Choate, Exeter, and Andover provide?

Thanks so much.

1 Like

Andover is 20-25, many of whom are repeat 11th graders. In comparison, about 85 are new 10th graders.

I suspect Choate and PEA are similar

1 Like

As several have said there are anywhere from 15-25 spots (choate had fewer i believe for last yr as they were renovating dorms so space was tight)
Most are athletes, repeat juniors, or both! there might be a lone 1-2 that squeak in without being either

I mentioned on another post that my daughter applied for 11th grade last yr (non athletic recruit and non repeater) to 8 schools and was accepted to 4 schools / WL at 2 / RJ at 2. All were in the tier below GLADCHEMS

Deerfield has about 25. My current senior was a repeat Junior. This is her 3rd high school (public then online charter Covid lockdown year)
As low as the odds were to get in- she is not an athlete, but is a pre-professionally trained ballet dancer, who has been obsessively involved since starting there, it has been totally worth it for her. She repeatedly says she wishes she’d had more time there and even as a repeat is not looking forward to graduating and leaving for college. She loves it. If you want to try, go for it!

1 Like

In March 2020, Exeter accepted 30 new 11th graders for the Fall. This number was from the 348 total students they accepted from a pool of 2,831 all grade applicants. The admission rate was 15.5% with a 79.5% yield. All this reported in the Exonian. The last 2 years, especially since testing was non-existent/optional, those numbers changed dramatically. For Fall 2021, the number of applications grew by 23% and rate of acceptance dropped to 10%. No specifics on grade breakdown in the article that year. Can’t find info on this year’s Fall numbers.

Deerfield takes a lot of students in 10th grade, so you could try for that if you are willing to repeat a year.

According to the Exonian, it was 14% (May 2, 2022):