Is it worth going to a UC from OOS?

<p>I know the budget crisis is taking a toll on California public schools, but UCD has been my dream for the longest time now. USC was also a dream, but I was (sadly) rejected. I would do anything to get out of my living situation in Ohio to pursue my studies in California. So when I heard back from UCD a day later, I was unbelievably stoked to even get in. Although it isn’t like LA, SD, or Cal, do you believe it is worth it to go? </p>

<p>Essentially, my parents don’t mind paying full price. But I’m worried about the lack of courses available, etc. My backup school is Baylor University in Waco, TX… and I need every reason not to go. I dread it there. Although they are giving me at least SOME money… I just. Can’t. I can already see myself depressed every single day. </p>

<p>My plan is, if I become too guilt-tripped by the amount of money at UCD, I could transfer over to USC… if that even works out.</p>

<p>Any advice/opinions?</p>

<p>USC and UCD will be around the same amount of money. David isn’t terribly far from san francisco, or oregon, so you could also travel around a bit. My advice is go for it. The whole point of going to school is to get high grades, and to try to deal with whatever gets in the way of that.</p>

<p>Thank you so much! That’s one of the reasons I’ve been eyeing UCI for a while – the fact that I have the freedom to “travel around” for a bit and just take in my surroundings. I would never be able to do that at Baylor, because it really is in the middle of nowhere. Just plains, plains, plains, for miles! (You have to go to another city to find a movie theater!)</p>

<p>I’m worried that the budget crisis right now will be too strong of an argument on my parent’s side (who think it is wiser to go to a private institution). How IS the budget crisis in CA right now? Or in other words, how is it really affecting the public universities?</p>

<p>I’m a little concerned about the budget crisis. How IS the budget crisis in California right now? How is it affecting the public universities? </p>

<p>Any help is greatly appreciated!</p>

<p>I have trouble believing that HYPSM are worth $50k, so I’m going to say no when we’re talking about UCD out-of-state.</p>

<p>Did you apply to Ohio State?</p>

<p>Nopee. My backup is really just Baylor. :frowning: 50k is just a rough estimate… but I know that it’s about the same price as just going to a regular private school. </p>

<p>I just feel like if I go to a school I actually like, I’ll do better than going to one that I dislike, even if it’s cheaper. I guess what bothers me is that because of the economy, it’s just impractical.</p>

<p>Have you been to Davis? It would not be my choice of places to live. </p>

<p>To your original question? no, I do not think it is worth the OOS tuition, and with recent cuts it is even less worth it. </p>

<p>I think it is barely a good deal for in state people. You now have to pay more and get a lot less. </p>

<p>Unless Davis will give you something beyond a California address, I would say that you should consider Baylor.</p>

<p>I have a similar problem as well, except I want to go to UCI. I don’t know what to do! I instantly fell in love with the campus the moment I visited (I’m hailing from Dallas, TX!) and I have to pick between UCI and SMU (a campus I’m not too fond of as well. Too conservative for my taste!)</p>