Is it worth it to even apply to the UCs Out Of State with a rushed app and essays?

As the deadline of Nov 30 looms for the UC apps I am now considering on applying…

HOWEVER, I have not even started any of my essays or any part of the UC application or the common app. And I have a 8 page essay I have to write for AP Lit tomorrow(yeah I know I am the worst procrastinator ever).

So should I even apply to any of the UCs at this point? Cal and UCLA are reaches for me anyways… The only UC that I really wanted to go is UCI & UCSD which are likely matches for me. Though they might not be matches anymore since my apps and essay will probably look rushed.

A more important question is will you parents pay full OOS tuition and fees: $55,000/year. No aid for OOS applicants.

Obviously, going to a UC was not one of your top priorities if you only NOW you are considering it. Don’t bother sending in a shoddy application.

@TomSrOfBoston

They agreed to pay $35,000 of it per year and leave the rest to me which I can loan.

Anyways, how long does the the full UC app take? If I do a rushed job and all what is the minimum amount of time to finish it? I don’t feel like pulling an all nighter either.

Why spend $70 on something you are not really interested in? OOS tuition to UCs doesn’t make any sense.

You can only borrow that much if your parents cosign, making them liable if you default, which is likely.

@Ballerina016

Well I always wanted to go to school in California. I am going to apply to the private colleges like University of San Francisco and University of San Diego. But I may or may not get into them so applying to the UCs will be my backups incase I get denied to all the private colleges in Cali.

@TomSrOfBoston

Yeah they will cosign.

If you can’t get into University of San Francisco you won’t get into any UC’s. USF gets Cal State rejects.

@TomSrOfBoston

Yeah that was what I was thinking. You just reminded me that the Cal States deadline is also Nov 30, though I’ve never been interested in Cal state schools. They are probably not worth OOS anyways right?

I feel like USF will be easier for me to get into since they don’t prefer in state students. Also I am taking 4 APs this year and have all A’s in them so I feel like my application is significantly stronger for USF since their deadline isn’t till Jan 15.

Are the UCs and CSUs the only schools in the US with the November 30 deadline? Is this just a California thing and are there any private schools in Cali that do it too? Just checking in case there is a school I might apply to that has the Nov 30 deadline too. I am also applying to other schools OOS too like UMich and a couple schools in Florida and Texas.

@vzext34 I know many of the California schools have a November 30th deadline like the UC’s and CSU’s, SDSU, etc. Some schools in California that have a later deadline include some private schools, University of San Diego(Dec. 15), Azusa Pacific(sometime February I believe) Point Loma(also sometime in February).

^ I’m not sure if you were listing SDSU as an example of a CSU or as a school other than a UC or CSU, so just to make it absolutely clear: SDSU is a CSU.

OP, your best bet if you want to come to CA for college is to go for privates. Assuming no financial aid it might even be cheaper than a UC (depending on the exact university of course) when all costs are considered. And as far as financial aid goes, a private university in CA is more likely to give you some aid than a UC, which gives little to no aid to OOS students. Not that it matters much at this point, because it’s past the application deadline for UC.

And no, CSUs really aren’t worth it for OOS. Heck, in my opinion UCs aren’t worth it for OOS.

If you have the stats/profile to get admitted to a UCLA OOS, then you probably have the stats/profile to get admitted to a PRIVATE school with FA or merit money.