Is not being in the top 10% a rejection death sentence for UCLA/Berkeley/UCSD?

<p>So I have a UC GPA of about 4.26, a 34 cumulative ACT, and pretty decent EC’s. (Started a district-wide card distribution non-profit and co-founded a business for real estate photography. Also top 32 in my state for debate. )</p>

<p>However my freshmen year was abysmal (all B’s/C’s) and my rank is permanently damaged because of it despite my ENORMOUS success and upward trend in sophomore/junior year.
I managed to move from the top 35% to the top 15%. Still not top 10%. I go to a pretty competitive school.</p>

<p>While my UC GPA and 34 ACT is in range for those schools, my rank makes me extremely nervous.</p>

<p>According to statistics:</p>

<p>UCSD - 100% in the top 10% (!!)
UCLA - 97% in the top 10%
Berkeley - 98% in the top 10%</p>

<p>These numbers really are crazy high - higher than Brown/Rice/Yale/Harvard/Stanford/Princeton/ect.</p>

<p>I know berkeley/ucla say they are “holistic”, but they seem to almost throw out almost every applicant thats not an athlete or a hook. I’m an out of state applicant with no hook, not to mention I’m Asian and privileged. </p>

<p>I seriously doubt I have any chance to compete against the 3% of applicants not in the top 10%, and I think I literally have a zero percent chance at UCSD (Seriously 100%?!?!?)</p>

<p>Thoughts?</p>

<p>It’s okay to not be in the top 10% at your school. As far as I have seen, class rank is not a huge factor in UC admssion.</p>

<p>I wouldn’t worry about it. You’ll most likely be fine. Your stats are pretty great.</p>

<p>@CultClassic‌ </p>

<p>Thanks for your comment!
It’s definitely reassuring that you say that, however what explains for the outrageously high top 10% acceptance rate?</p>

<p>Honestly, I’m not sure. I’ve never heard about it before.</p>

<p>UCSD Common data set states that class rank is not considered, page 3
<a href=“Undergraduate Statistics”>Undergraduate Statistics;