Is nursing at CSULB even worth it?

I’m in my first year of college right now at CSULB and I hate it. I wanted to go to a UC but got waitlisted then rejected. I feel miserable because I’m constantly feeling like I won’t get any job opportunities because I go to a CSU and not a UC. I know that nursing at CSULB is supposed to be highly regarded but is that really true?

I do not think you will have a problem getting a job with a BSN from CSULB. Do you hate it because you don’t think you’ll get a job or do you hate the program itself or the university or what? Also, if you get good grades, you can always go to a UC for grad school.

Hi, thank you so much for replying first of all. I hate being here because I’m sick everyone telling me that being at a UC is better and that I’m somehow inferior to people who go to a UC. I just wanted some reassurance that I’m not wasting my time pursing nursing here if hiring managers only care about UC nursing graduates. And yes, it is my goal to go to a UC for grad school

Getting a BSN at a UC will not open up any more job opportunities than getting a BSN at CSULB. What exactly do you hate about CSULB?

@Gumbymom I know this sounds incredibly immature, but I hate that there is an overall inferior perception of CSU vs UCs. I constantly feel like I’m inferior to my friends who go to UCs. And then I feel like that will affect my job outlook. Thank you for replying

@Emsmom1 ^

There is nothing “magic” about the UC’s and going there will not guarantee you or your friends a job. You can get just as good as an education at a CSU like Long Beach as you can at a UCI. I know it is difficult to ignore what other people think, but as long as you like the program and are doing well, you will succeed. Employers are more interested in what kind of job skill set you possess vs. the name of the school you attended. In a few years of working, it will not even matter. Best of luck and congratulations for getting into a selective program like Nursing.

@Gumbymom thank you so much! I couldn’t appreciate more your words of reassurance

Whom are you listening to?
Why would you want to listen to people who, maybe have a grudge that they didn’t get into their UC?
Long Beach is a strong school. They have a strong nursing program.
Nursing is impacted at all of the schools because it is a well-paid profession.
It sounds like you are surrounded by the wrong people. Get away from those toxic people!

That is an absurd concern. LB has a really strong reputation for all majors. You will have no trouble finding a job with a nursing degree from there. Walk into the career office and ask how many medical firms hire their graduates.

I would not worry about the differences, particularly if Nursing is what you’re looking for.
The key differences between UC and CSU is not their academic rigor, but their academic offerings.
The mission of the CSU’s is based on practical applications and non research-oriented careers. The CSU system awards mostly bachelor’s degrees, and no PhD’s by design.

The UC system is more research and theory-based teaching. Most professors engage in research, providing students with the opportunity to learn in a research setting. But the UC’s tend to be more graduate, rather than undergraduate focused. UC awards professional and doctorate degrees.

It’s important to keep this in mind when choosing between the CSU and UC systems. Neither is better than the other – rather, students may be more suited to a particular system due to their academic and/or career goals.
If your goals include Nursing, then you’ll see that the CSU’s have far more ‘hands-on’ opportunities than the more theoretical UC’s, and as such can provide you with the skills sets that employers will want.

@hop thank you so much for your response!

@auntbea thank you so much for your response! I am around toxic people, thank you

@NCalRent thank you for your reply. Yes I will do that!

https://web.csulb.edu/colleges/chhs/departments/nursing/employment/index.htm

@Gumbymom thank you!

Catch up to some nursing students who are seniors or recent grads from your university. They will give you the most accurate info. Your career counseling office may be able to link you up with some recent grads. At many universities, they ask grads to sign up to provide advice to current students.

@Charliesch I will, thank you!

CSULB is an excellent nursing school. I agree completely with Aunt Bea. You will have no trouble getting a nursing job having graduating from Long Beach. As the CSU nursing school grad myself and knowing many more… I can tell you that you have nothing to worry about with regard to job recruitment. People telling you otherwise are misinformed.

@calmom17 thank you so so much for your response!