Is PE included in the UC GPA?

just wondering ^

No, only a-g courses such as History/Social Sciences, Math, Foreign Language, English, Visual/Performing Arts and Science.

https://rogerhub.com/gpa-calculator-uc/

sorry, just to confirm - what is my UC GPA? Here are the courses I took and their associated grades:
10th Grade
AP CS: A
Math (Precalc/Calc A combo): A
Chemistry: A
AP World: A-
English 10 (Honors): A-
PE 10 (although this doesn’t count): A
Biology: A

11th Grade
AP Calc BC: A
AP Physics C Mech: A
Research CS class: A
AP Lang: B+
AP econ: B+
AP Psych: A-
US History (dual enrolled at local community college): A
@Gumbymom
thanks!

You only get 1 grade per year course?

We receive quarterly grades but recalculate GPA every semester. However, our final transcript only shows yearly grades.

Ok, then you should go by what your transcript shows which are yearly grades.

Here is what I get when I plug in your information:
Unweighted UC GPA: 3.85
Fully Weighted UC GPA: 4.46
Weighted and Capped UC GPA: 4.15

+/- are not used. I am assuming you are a CA resident?

@Gumbymom wow :frowning: . I changed both Bs to As for testing purposes and saw my W/C UC GPA jump up to like 4.31 :confused: . Any idea what my chances are at Berkeley for CS, OOS?

If you are OOS, then your CC course is not weighted so your UC GPA will be lower.

Unweighted UC GPA: 3.85
Fully Weighted GPA: 4.38
Weighted and Capped UC GPA: 4.15

Here is some UC statistical data since none of the UC’s will list admit stats by major. The more competitive the major (CS) the lower the admit rates and the higher the stats are needed to be competitive. For UCB, it will depend upon if you are applying for L&S or EECS.

Admission Rates for Out-of-State Applicants (Domestic):
UCLA: 16.5%
UC Berkeley: 17.1%
UC Santa Barbara: 38.7%
UC Irvine: 44.2%
UC San Diego: 59.6%
UC Davis: 62.8%

2018 Freshman admit rates for UC GPA of 3.80-4.19 capped weighted and not major specific:
UCB: 10%
UCLA: 9%
UCSD: 34%
UCSB: 38%
UCD: 41%
UCI: 38%

2019 Data:
25th - 75th percentiles for SAT totals:
UCB: 1340-1540

UCLA: 1330-1550
UCSD: 1300-1520
UCSB: 1280-1520
UCD: 1230-1490
UCI: 1250-1510
25th - 75th percentiles for ACT composite + language arts
UCB: 28-35
UCLA: 29-35
UCSD: 26-34
UCSB: 26-34
UCD: 24-33
UCI: 24-34

Wow… how much weight do they put on the U/C GPA? And why don’t they consider 9th grade courses?

Would you say the admissions rate would be higher for 4.15 U/C GPA’s in comparison to the acceptance rate associated with the range (3.80-4.19) you supplied?

My SAT was a 1570; do you think that would make up for the lower GPA?

Thanks for answering my questions!!

UC’s tend to be very GPA focused vs. test focused. You have a solid UC GPA and will be a competitive applicant especially with your SAT score. Being closer to the higher end of the range will give you a better chance but even over the 4.2 range, there are no guarantees.

2018 Freshman admit rates for UC GPA of 4.20 or above capped weighted and not major specific:
UCB: 37%
UCLA: 41%
UCSD: 70%
UCSB: 80%
UCD: 89%
UCI: 75%

2019 UC capped weighted GPA averages:
UCB: 4.23
UCLA: 4.25
UCSD: 4.23
UCSB: 4.16
UCI: 4.13
UCD: 4.13

For all UC’s the following are Very Important:
GPA, Test Scores, HS course Rigor, Essays

For UCB specifically:

• BERKELEY
  •   Very important: Academic GPA, Application essay, Rigor of secondary school record, Standardized test scores

•   Important: Extracurricular activities, Volunteer work, Work experience

•   Considered: Character/personal qualities, First generation college student, State residency, AP/IBLH exam scores

•   Note: Thorough review of academic performance; likely contribution to intellectual and cultural vitality of the campus; diversity in personal background and experience; demonstrated qualities in leadership, motivation, concern for others and community; non-academic achievement in the performing arts, athletics or employment; demonstrated interest in major.

• LOR’s by invitation only as of 2017
    Division (L&S, CNR, CoC, CED, CoE) matters for admission selectivity.
    Within CoE (but not the other divisions), major matters for admission selectivity. Changing majors within the CoE after enrolling is not guaranteed, unless one is CoE undeclared.
    Note that L&S admits students as undeclared; admission to capped            majors (e.g. CS, economics, psychology, ORMS, statistics, art practice,         and a few others) is by college GPA in prerequisite courses (and                portfolio for art practice) after attending for a few semesters.

UC’s do review your 9th grades to make sure you have completed all your a-g course requirements. Do you have a year of a Visual/Performing arts course? This requirement usually trips up most OOS applicants.

Also the UC’s will only weight AP/IB courses taken 10-11th grades for OOS applicants. One question for you is your college budget. Can you and your family afford to attend a UC at $65K/year with little to no financial aid?

The UC Doorways web site will list what courses count for a-g requirements.

UC Doorways website is for California HS students only but it can give you an idea of the required courses: https://hs-articulation.ucop.edu/agcourselist

My impression was that they review 9th and 12th grade courses to make sure a-g are completed but only consider whether the class was passed with a C or better (so C- equals A+). Are they “reviewing” more than that in 9th grade grades?

@lgk4answers: You are correct in that admissions review 9th grades to make sure a-g courses are passed with a C or higher. Senior courses are reviewed to determine if all a-g course requirements are met by graduation and also for Senior year course rigor.

OP was asking in reference to why 9th grade courses are not included in the UC GPA calculation.

In terms of “hard” stats, 9th grade courses and grades are used to fulfill a-g requirements, but are not used to calculate the GPA (for both UC and CSU, except for CPSLO that includes 9th grade grades).

However, since UC does admissions using readings by human admission readers who see all of the courses and grades, it is possible that a human admission reader’s scoring of the application may be affected by 9th grade courses and grades, even if they are not included in recalculated GPAs. CSU just plugs the recalculated GPA into the eligibility index formula (MCA formula for CPSLO).

@Gumbymom
Would the following items be considered a boost in my chance of admission?
SAT Math II Score of 790
(predicted) Physics SAT Subject Test Score of 760-770
First Generation College Student (however, I’m not sure how colleges even verify this?)
I am an Asian male, however that has no effect on my admissions since UC schools don’t participate in affirmative action, correct?
I don’t have a visual/performing arts credit - I tried to take orchestra during my Freshmen and Sophomore year, but absolutely couldn’t due to scheduling conflicts. However, the teacher let me still participate in the program (I practiced the music at home and came to concerts), and I was able to audition and get into the Regional Orchestra and the All-County orchestra. Should I mention this in my application?
Would you say my chances are closer to 30% since my U/C GPA is on the higher end? (that 10% doesn’t give me hope :frowning: )
Again, thank you so much for your assistance.

Your SAT Math II score and if you get that Physics score will both help. Race/Ethnicity will not be taken into consideration but 1st generation will be considered. Not having the VPA requirement will hurt you since you have 4 years including summers to try to take a course. 1 semester at your local CC or an on-line course would fulfill the requirements. There are many OOS applicants that will have the whole package and you will be competing with these applicants for the same spots. I will only post statistical data to help gauge your chances and will not deal in percentages since I am not privy to your complete application. It is up admissions to determine if you are a viable applicant and not meeting the minimum a-g course requirements will not help your situation.

Just for reference, the following quote was emailed to a prospective applicant that did not take their VPA course.

[quote]

AP or IB examination
Score of 3, 4 or 5 on the AP History of Art, Studio Art or Music Theory Exam;
score of 5, 6 or 7 on any one IB HL exam in Dance, Film, Music, Theatre Arts or Visual Arts

College courses
Grade of C or better in any transferable course of 3 semester (4 quarter) units that clearly falls within one of four visual/performing arts disciplines: dance, drama/theater, music or visual art
If you find that you are unable to fulfill the requirement with any of the above options you can explain the reason why in the additional comments section. Please be aware that failure to fulfill all requirement will have a negative impact on your application.

If you have any other questions please feel free to contact us again.

Thank you,

University of California Application Center

Thank you for the info. At my school, I am only able to take music classes during the school year (not during the summer and, as far as I know, I am unable to take music classes at my local CC in a way that is affiliated with the school). By taking a semester of music at my local CC, do you mean to register and participate in the course without any affiliation with my high school?

It does not have to be music classes specifically. It can be drama, art, film etc… You do not have to take a CC course that is affiliated with your HS, you could take any VPA course at any University for 1 semester to fulfill the requirement. You could also do an on-line course during the year through any UC approved on-line programs or through your local CC.

https://hs-articulation.ucop.edu/guide/update-your-a-g-list/online-courses/