Is PharmD same as a PhD program?

Well, I did not know much, but if most PharmD programs require BS, and then transferring to a pharm school for another 4-6 years to earn PharmD. Isn’t it same as a PhD program?

(Considering that I wanna have a BS, just to be in a safe line or want a career change. )

Although, becoming a PA is much better as it only takes about 2 years after finishing your BS. Is it really worth the time and money to enter this field?

@AeroDE

A PharmD is not the same as a PhD.

PharmD is a professional degree, similar to an MD for physicians, a JD for lawyers, a DPT for physical therapists, or AudD for audiologists. A professional degree allows an individual to gain a professional license that is required to practice in their chosen field.

A PhD is research-based post-graduate degree that requires an individual to present and defend a thesis that offers significant new and original contributions to the field of their PhD. One can earn a PhD in any academic discipline and the length of time it takes to complete a PhD varies widely…A baccalaureate and often a master’s degree is required for admission to doctoral (PhD) programs.

A PharmD program is 4 years long and like other professional programs requires a baccalaureate degree for admission. This means that typically it takes 8 years to earn a pharmacy degree, though there are number of direct admit programs that combine the undergrad and professional portions and are 6 or 7 years long. most direct admit pharmacy programs grant a bachelor’s degree as part of the combined education program.

The working life of a physician assistant and pharmacist are very different. I suggest you shadow people in both fields before you commit to a career path.

Thank you for the information wayout, although I would actually shadow the people from both fields before I finish my BS. So it will give me an idea to which field to enter.

@AeroDE

One thing to keep in mind when considering a PA program is that there is a requirement for PAID hands-on healthcare experience for all PA programs. Required hours range from 500 to 2000 hours, depending on the program. Many PA applicants take 1-2 year off between undergrad and applying to get their hours. done because it’s hard to accrue that many hours while a full time student.

Jobs that count toward required hours include: CNA, EMT, paramedic, phlebotomist, nurse, ER or surgical tech, military corpsman, physical therapy aide…

@WayOutWestMom

Yup! that’s why I’m trying to decide if I wanna go into pharmacy or PA earlier, so I can plan ahead.

So that way, I can I start volunteering in hospital from my junior year for the PA program and prepare for MCAT. Or if I’m going to the pharmacy, I can start to find internships to work at a lab during my junior year.

@AeroDE

You take the GRE to apply to PA school, not the MCAT, although some programs will accept a MCAT in lieu of a GRE.

My D is in a 2+4 pharmD program. She took the PCAT the summer after freshman year of college and started her intern hours the summer after sophomore year.

She works at a pharmacy in the summer and she is sure that pharmacist is the right career for her.

But you can also go into research and her school offers a PharmD/PHD program.