is purdue a good school for engineering?

<p>i heard from my friends that purdue is not really a good university.
they say that its reputation is way below colleges like UIUC, UMich, etc.</p>

<p>i'm going to major in computer engineering.</p>

<p>is purdue a good choice for me?</p>

<p>what's the average SAT scores of purdue's school of engineering?</p>

<p>I'd go to U Mich, UIUC, Georgia Tech, Virginia Tech over Purdue; that said, it's definitely not a "bad" university, there's just better options out there.</p>

<p>If we are talking about Engineering programs, Purdue is definitely up there with the best. Possibly not quite as high as GT, Michigan and UIUC, but definitely among the top 10 or top 15. </p>

<p>I suspect your friend was referring to the the overall reputation of universities. If that is the case, then yes, Purdue is not quite as highly regarded as UIUC or Michigan, but it is still respected.</p>

<p>I'd put Purdue in the top 20, for sure.</p>

<p>I'd also put UIUC there, and UMich. You're comparing superlatives.</p>

<p>Purdue has a great reputation with employers in engineering fields.</p>

<p>what about comparing purdue to U of wisc, madison ?</p>

<p>which one is better in engineering and job opportunities?</p>

<p>Probably Purdue. U Wisconsin is a good school, but Purdue's more prestigious in engineering circles, in my opinion.</p>

<p>In terms of Engineering, Purdue has a small edge (though Wisconsin's Chemical Engineering is one of the top 3 or 4 in the country). However, in terms of overall experience (overall academic quality, campus and city life etc...), I give the edge to Wisconsin.</p>

<p>not trying to hijack the thread but it's related to this thread. how does Iowa state compare to Purdue at engineering.</p>

<p>From what I know, ISU is not as good as Purdue. According to the latest USNWR ranking of undergraduate Engineering programs, Purdue is ranked #9 in the nation in Engineering whereas Iowa is ranked #38. That's not a major difference and the USNWR is not that accurate, but it is worth considering. ISU is definitely a very well respected Engineering program, just not as respected as Purdue...I don't think.</p>

<p>Yes, Purdue is a good school for engineering, great engineering history and tradition, but it's not as selective as some of the other midwestern engineering powerhouses, and it's one of those schools where the engineering college is a lot better than the rest of the University, and it's in the midwest, so it's not very popular. But, their engineers get recruited well and is very well regarded in industry, and as you can see the USnews ranking reflects that.</p>

<p>" it's in the midwest, so it's not very popular."</p>

<p>Great logic here.</p>

<p>Purdue's great for engineering, and it's a bona fide elite eight contender in college hoops this year.</p>

<p>hells yeha to 2g1c4l. cant wait till friday for the season opener. too bad i have a frat. event that night :(</p>

<p>Aside from the fact that I have a bias towards Purdue, I would like to offer as honest an insight about the school of engineering as I can. As an engineering student at Purdue I am thoroughly convinced that the program here is one of the best. Although some classes in the first year of engineering will be large, there is ample access to both professors and grad TA’s who can direct you as you need. All of my classes are very hard, bar none. If you plan to earn A’s and B’s you will not have much of a life outside of school unless you are greatly above average in intellect. As far as how Purdue compares to other top programs, I can’t say, as I haven’t gone to any of them. However, I will say that with the exception of schools such as MIT or Berkeley, Purdue enjoys a better reputation than most. While I realize that UIUC and the like are solid programs, most people outside of the Midwest and/or the engineering field will probably not recognize this fact. On the contrary, Purdue is a famous name around the world, this will come of greater importance as you progress through life and find that the name is really what you are banking on when choosing a college, as the level of education probably varies only slightly among top programs. Engineers are heavily recruited from Purdue in all industries, with job fairs attracting hundreds of international companies. Purdue also has the largest population of international students in the country, as they come from Asia and India for the engineering program. I will say that the weather in West Lafayette, IN could be better, as I am from FL. As a testament to what I have said, anyone that I talk to in FL has heard of Purdue, it serves a point that the school carries such a reputation. I have read other posts on here about the quality of students at Purdue, and I am sure that MIT will have better, but let me assure you that those who can’t hack it won’t be in the engineering program long. I believe there is something like a 50% drop rate from beginning to the end of sophomore year. There is a higher acceptance rate than at other top programs, but I believe that this can be attributed mostly to the location and they size of the school - meaning that demand is not as great as supply in this case. All in all, I have found my experience here to greatly exceed my expectations. I know that I will have one of the best jobs in the country when I graduate, and I will also have a great shot at getting into a top MBA program, as many undergraduate engineers go off to MIT, Harvard, Berkeley, etc. I will always be proud that I went to Purdue and I will forever be in debt for the opportunities that have materialized while here. I would highly recommend Purdue to any individual who desires a great challenge and a wonderful experience.</p>

<p>In the midwest, I would say Purdue Engineering reputation lags behind UIUC and Umich only. Outside the midwest, Purdue reputation is very very good. My grandparents in Taiwan and their friends thought Purdue was an Ivy League institution and many people I meet in California have heard of Purdue but not UIUC and only know Umich for football (not education). As for if it's good or not, if you graduate with decent grades in engineering in any top school, it won't really matter if they're 10th or 15th or 20th. I mean seriously, employers really don't care what school you're from UNLESS everything else is equal and you're comparing Purdue or UIUC to like Depaul/Eastern Michigan. Just concentrate on graduating and getting good grades/internships/leadership positions in clubs. If you do that it won't matter which top school you go to.</p>

<p>Purdue is a good university, especially in engineering. BUT, I don't think it's for you. I know you've taken SAT II your scores are pretty good....close to perfect. So, I believe you're MIT material. Why would you go to a school which doesn't require SAT and essay for its application, if you can get into better schools which I'm very sure you're capable of.
Btw, in Indonesia...Purdue is not really well respected.</p>

<p>Aviation Weekly ranked Purdue as the favorite engineering school of defense contractors (boeing, lockheed martin, raytheon, etc.)</p>

<p>there is a DEFINITE BIAS AGAINST purdue on college confidential because it is not as SELECTIVE as the other top engineering schools. make no mistake, Purdue is EQUIVALENT to UMich, UIUC, GaTech and the others as far as engineering goes. the reputation of purdue is nationwide, and a large number of people mistake it for a private or ivy league school.</p>

<p>btw, i applied to Purdue, UMich, UIUC, and OSU. so far i'm into UMich, UIUC (w/ 12k a year scholarship), and OSU... waiting for the boilermakers.</p>

<p>BearCub... who cares about if its respected in Indonesia? what do they know about American engineering schools? what do you even know about the Indonesian engineering hiring practices?</p>

<p>
[quote]
In terms of Engineering, Purdue has a small edge (though Wisconsin's Chemical Engineering is one of the top 3 or 4 in the country). However, in terms of overall experience (overall academic quality, campus and city life etc...), I give the edge to Wisconsin.

[/quote]

that is just plain wrong. purdue and wisconsin are not on the same level as far as engineering is concerned. Purdue is a much better overall school for engineering.</p>

<p>purduefrank, though from purdue, has given you a pretty fair and balanced assessment, despite what your fellow posters would have you believe. where political science, english, biology, greek studies, and international buisness is concerned, UMich and UIUC will win everytime. when it comes to engineering, there is literally NO POSSIBLE DISTINCTION between the three.... except the price tag....</p>

<p>us world and news has national rankings posted for different college engineering programs. Purdue ranks consistently in the top ten on those lists.</p>

<p>i think purdue is one of the best school is the country for engineering. like many has said before, school like Michigan obviously has more of a "prestige" but based on undergraduate and graduate level, purdue without a doubt within the top 10. especially in aeronautical engineering (like keefer said, tradtionally, purdue is the school to go to if you want to be a astronaut and Purdue played a big role in the space race.) and many other areas. Purdue also has extensive international influence, many international student go to purdue and return to their homeland and contribute worldwide with the engineering knowledge they obtained at Purdue. </p>

<p>i know this sounds like a ad for purdue but i'm not attending purdue nor has any of my family. my dad was a EE professor at Virginia Tech and i followed him around the world attending engineeringconference and throughout those experinces i met many purdue alums. in general i made the assumption that if you are going to go to purdue, it are going to be studying engineering...not that the other majors are not good, just that engineering is outstanding. and you are someone that truly has a interest for engineering but does not excel in school (and imho, engineers are suppose to get all As...where is the fun in that) purdue's school of engineering is an awesome place to be.</p>