Is purdue worth the risk?

<p>Hello,
I am international student and I have applied to several us universities. As you know being international student and studing in us requires a lot of money. I was accepted in Purdue university with major in computer engineering. The cost for international student is around 50k per year(I am not sure for this so if somebody confirm it I would be very thankful). I am able to afford 3 of the 4 years so for the last one i need to take a student loan. I have heard that Purdue university has good reputation in engineering, so it is likely I would get a job after I graduatebute. However, I have heard that the overall reputation is not that good. So is it worth the risk ending up with 50k loan after graduation. What are the options for jobs in the university while I am studing? Are there any scholarships for good performance in 1st, 2nd, 3rd year in the university? I am considering also options like U of Minnesota(which is a lot cheaper), Wisconsin-Madison, Virginia tech... I would be very greathful if you give me your opinion! Thanks.</p>

<p>Its not about reputation of a university as a whole. Purdue is ranked lower than U-Wisconsin but still has a better engineering program. Look at ranking according to your major. </p>

<p>Purdue is a better engineering school that all of above mentioned schools.</p>

<p>You did not get any scholarship? That is highly unlikely.</p>

<p>Thanks, for the answer! Unfortunately no I didn’t get any scholarship… I am international student and I was struggling with the CR part-450. However, my math was 750 which helped me to be accepted. I am willing to work hard so is there any chance I can get scholarship for 2nd and 3rd year(having considered that I don’t have scholarship for freshmen year)? Btw Purdue notify for their scholarship with their dicission letter?</p>

<p>I also am an international and a purdue hopeful so i cant really tell you about your main question. You should email purdue admission office. They will explain you better than any1 here</p>

<p>There will be departmental scholarships that have a merit component that you can apply to each year.</p>

<p>Thank you, naturaldistaster. Can somebody confirm the international expenses for 1 year in Purdue? Around 50 k a year?</p>

<p>Yes Purdue is almost 47-48k per year for internationals.With other expenses and air fare I think it will be almost 51-52k per year. I am also an international BTW. Maybe I will meet u there. </p>

<p>Also don’t worry about the reputation part as Purdue has a very good reputation in the industry. I was worried about the same thing but my dad talked to a few of his american friends and Purdue is actually very good, even though the acceptance rate is high.</p>

<p>Thank you shadowgunkiller! Now I am in dilemma should choose Purdue(and end up with loan) or choose U of Minnesota(which is a lot cheaper). I will dicide in the next month. Thank you agian! :)</p>

<p>@naturaldistaster,
You said that a departmental merit scholarship is available in Purdue University. Could you please tell me the amount that is offered in these department scholarships? By the way I am also an international student so like Dimcho I don’t know whether I should end up with a loan by studying in Purdue university. So please give me a fast reply. Thank you.</p>

<p>I agree with samirsolaiman… That would be helpful!</p>

<p>You should contact the departments directly by email, they will give you more accurate answers than you can get here.</p>

<p>If you want to hear from a parent, from what I understand the departmental merit scholarships, especially for non-freshmen, if available, are small, maybe a few thousands and some may not even be available to international students. You have to understand, money is tight, what little the schools have is used to attract top students to come to the University first.</p>

<p>As far as choosing Minn or Wisconsin, maybe it does not matter to you but check the weather and see if you are ok with it.</p>

<p>If after all of your research you do not believe Purdue to be a great school - why are you asking?</p>