Is Seton Hall a *good* school?

I want to go to a school that has a pretty good name, one that’s well respected. I got in to DePaul and Loyola which fulfill that criteria, and rejected from Fordham which was my #1 choice. Seton Hall is my cheapest option right now at 29,000 dollars per year, and they have the cool program where I can get a masters in 5 years. I’m from Illinois so I’d never heard of Seton Hall before I applied and I mostly only want to go because of the proximity to NYC. I know some people on here think it’s bad, but that’s from the likes of people who go to Harvard and Yale etc, so I would love some down to earth imput on this.

It’s respected. But it’s kind of in a surburban/urban area which is just OK…though you can get to NYC on the train pretty easily (will take about :45 min). The campus is not that nice…IMO. Can you visit before making a decision?

I visited during the summer. I thought the campus was nice, nothing special. I didn’t really learn that much from it was unfortunate.

It is quite a bit below Loyola or Depaul in terms of academics. What would you study?
Woukd you commute to Loyola or depaul?
Where else have you applied?
Do check that it’s net cost (IE., take the full direct costs for the year, tuition, fees, room, board, minus grants and scholarships) because they often package loans to make it look like costs are lower.
If it’s try 29k for the year before any loans, it’s a good price, so keep it in play but don’t decide yet.

Agree with above- it’s very well known in NJ, not especially hard to get in to, but not a bad reputation. I agree Loyola and DePaul are probably better academically. Don’t forget to include your travel expenses as well. I wouldn’t pick it due to proximity to NYC -it’s not far but I don’t think you’ll get into the city all that much.

I would be majoring in education with a possible double major in history or literature. I would not commute to DePaul or Loyola, I want to live on campus wherever I go. I applied to Fordham and got rejected and am still waiting on Rutgers NB and American, and I’ve gotten in to St. Norbert, Xavier, an Roosevelt University. And yes, the total cost minus the scholarship is 29,000 and I have subpar grades, so this is one of my best options because everywhere else is giving me a 35,000 range.

My son is a double major in education and history. Think about where you think you may want to teach. I always recommend attending school in the state you want to teach because your best opportunities for future employment often come through student teaching connections.