Is the area around the University of Illinois at Chicago safe?

Hello all, I m currently a senior in high school who is most likely going to attend UIC. I was wondering if the areas surrounding the campus, specifically Little Italy and Greektown, are safe. I don t plan on going out alone at night or whatever, but would I be ok with another person?I guess I m somehat fragile since I m a relatively skinny 5 5" guy haha. I don t want to be a victim of a crime. Former and current UIC students: have you ever experienced a crime or have known of anyone who has? Details are much appreicuated!

I currently attend UIC. The area is fairly safe and I’ve even walked from UIC to Ogilvie around 7:30pm alone. If you’re with a couple other people, there is nothing to worry about. My only warning is, don’t go more than a few blocks off campus after 11pm.

I live 30 minutes away and I can tell you there’s some sketchy streets. I would consider the university area safe. Outside the area, if you’re walking late at night, maybe walk with someone? I live in one of the worst streets and nothing has ever happened to me, so just know your streets. There’s always people around, and if you walk with others I doubt anything will happen to you.