Is the GPA colleges show, from their class profile, recalculated?

Emory says the average GPA for the class of 2027 was a 3.88 (UW). Is this GPA representative of their actual high school GPA or is it the GPA that has gone through Emory’s recalculation process.

I believe every college chooses how they report GPAs. It’s frustrating I know. You could reach out to your admissions counselor for more information.

1 Like

unweighted is that - not weighted.

so they have to score the 93s or 91s or 97 into a gpa - but i would consider that 3.88 as that - unweighted - so without emory interference when a gpa on a 4 point was reported.

now -they might remove non core or freshman, etc. from that - i don’t know.

It’s basically a near but not straight A student - and I’d assume that to be the case for Emory.

good luck.

i think every school does it differently. i once asked Ga Tech and they said they report what the applicant submitted with no regard to weighting. this probably explains why they have 90%+ over 4.0 since that would include weighted GPAs too.
edit: here is verbatim what Ga Tech told me: "We will use whatever GPA is listed on the student’s transcript. So, if the applicant’s school uses weighted/unweighted GPA, we directly pull from there. In the scenario in which there are no GPAs listed, we will calculate a weighted GPA on a 4.0 scale and give all AP/IB/DE classes an extra .5 in value. "

2 Likes

They have to do some form of recalculation because some high schools do their UWGPA out of 5, or 100… so yeah. Anyways, it’s really tough to gauge UWGPA because it can be so different for every person, based on the type of high school they went to, the classes they took, etc. I’d take those numbers with a grain of salt…

According to the Selingo book, Emory excludes freshman year and non-core from their gpa recalc.

But that is not unweighted.

The question was specific to UW. Other schools like IU do as you just said.

But weighted is on a 4 point max with no enhancements.

I wouldn’t take them with a grain of salt.

They will be ‘about right’ but as I noted would include some conversion from those not on a 4 point scale.

It doesn’t mean if you have a 3.5 UW you can’t get in. It’s a guide.

Given a school of Emory’s stature it makes sense the average would be mostly As

That doesn’t attest to rigor and other things. Just grades.

well, that’s kind of my point- that every school reports GPA differently - Emory is saying 3.88 is UW but does not answer the question whether it comes directly from the student’s transcript or if it goes through a Emory-specific re-calculation. someone would have to ask Emory what they actually do. i am just giving an example of GT saying they take it from the student’s transcript and don’t incorporate W/UW status unless there is no GPA reported on the transcript in which case they explicitly share their formula.

Right, but that’s for admissions which isn’t necessarily what’s reported on the CDS (or elsewhere) for matriculant GPA…at many schools those numbers aren’t in sync.

Only way to know for sure is to contact Emory institutional reporting and/or admissions.

Do you have knowledge of how Emory calculates GPA? If not, what you are saying isn’t necessarily correct, this could very well be a weighted/partially weighted number.

Its a important factor for me as my GPA vastly differs depending on whether or not its my actual one or the one that went through Emory’s process. My UW gpa straight from my school is a 3.4, but with Emory’s recalculation, I would have a 4.0 UW as my freshman year is the the one thing holding down my GPA. I want to know how AOs would look at this. Would they just see the GPA that was recalculated, will they see both, what would they think? I’m presuming only AOs know the actual answers.

Yep. Although we do have the Selingo data point that they don’t include grades from 9th grade in the GPA calculation done by admissions during the review process…but who knows if that is the current process? College admissions are incredibly dynamic. It’s appropriate to ask you AO, but they may or may not divulge this info. Big picture though…how would knowing the answer change your application and/or application strategy? Good luck.

1 Like

And I noted - you have the numerical to transfer and the rumor is Emory only uses core classes and 10th-11th. I don’t know that to be true but someone stated above.

But an A will be a 4, a B a 3 - is all I’m saying - so the 3.88 is likely about right.

If it were weighted, I would expect them to call it weighted.

If someone says unweighted and it’s on a 4 point scale, then I would assume it to be an unweighted GPA.

Now do they use +/-, etc. I don’t know.

I’m simply saying - I would take the 3.88 as what it is - a 3.88 on a 4 point scale - using whatever factors they are using - but not weighting - so no + for Honors or AP in that #.

That’s all I mean.

Let me ask you this - regardless of the answer, are you still going to apply to Emory?

Or would the answer make you reconsider?

If the answer is you are applying regardless, just know it’s a reach school - and then you have your targets and safeties regardless.

I personally would think, but don’t know, even at schools that factor out 9th grade, the grades are still “observed”.

Emory is holistic - so you’ll never truly know.

But if you are applying regardless, I wouldn’t worry - because it’s not going to alter your plan.

But I would assume - even if you have straight As after, that Emory is a reach - and I’d say that even if you had straight As in 9th grade.

It’s a reach for most all.

“But weighted is on a 4 point max with no enhancements.”

I agree and don’t really understand this but some schools…e.g. Villanova…report an average unweighted GPA above 4.0

I’d imagine - but you’d have to ask - they give a .33 credit to + or some sort of credit.

I’m looking at their 25/75 - so fair point.

On a 4 point scale, if they’re using that, you shouldn’t be over - but i’m not including +/-.

Anyway, if they truly want to know, they can ask Emory.

But I surmise they will be applying regardless - so asking won’t change anything.

Thats a recalculated gpa for admitted (not enrolled) students. So it excludes freshman year and non core classes. Core classes are math, Sciences, English/ literature.

which school are you talking about?

Emory

1 Like

I would only believe this if admissions directly said this is the case…do you have a source?

Foreign language classes are also core courses. Some college also consider PLTW classes core.

1 Like