Is the Stony Brook School accepting of gay students?

My son just came out, and at the same time was accepted to the Stony Brook school. We were excited about this opportunity for him prior to finding out he is gay, now I am not sure it will be the right environment for him. I can’t find any info online about this. Are there any parents or kids out there that know if he would be happy there, or feel isolated? Thank you!

SBS is a Christian school, but there are many ways to express one’s Christianity. Some are more open minded than others.

I am not very familiar with the school, although I know a couple of kids from my community are current students. While they would be supportive and accepting (their mothers would be mortified if they weren’t), I don’t know if that extends to the general community.

Perhaps a tactful way to get more insight would be to inquire about school clubs, like GSA.

5 minutes internet research found a student review on greatschools.com from 2016, saying that there was discrimination against gay students. The Stony Brook School - Stony Brook, New York - NY | GreatSchools

Most high schools in the country have a club to support gay students, that both gay students and their straight friends, or simply straight people who believe that sexual minorities should not suffer discrimination and bullying, join. If the school doesn’t have such a club, that’s your answer right there.

1 Like

yes i saw that review too, but there was only one, so I wasn’t sure.

You’re right.

Even at the most welcoming of schools, there’s bound to be one negative. And a school that’s welcoming for one student might not feel so welcoming for another.

I know a day student (SBS) and an online student (SBG). Neither are from Christian homes. The day student’s family is apparently satisfied; the online student’s family has been very dissatisfied and is returning to public school.

In conversations with the dissatisfied parent, most of the issues were with the online structure (they felt SBG offered very little support and had unclear policies). They did comment that they had had an issue with one instructor regarding attitudes towards their non-Christian religion; they did not comment about any other biases.

Ask to talk to the faculty advisor of their GSA (Gay Straight Alliance), or whatever the equivalent student organization they have, and discuss your concerns.

And I agree with:

The Stony Brook School is def anti-gay but they take tuition $ from anyone. they don’t say it out loudly. The brought “ex-gay” speaker to campus to teach faculty how to seem like they are accepting of gay students while teaching them their version of gods ideal plan of sec and marriage. They have book club that is conversion treatment just not with that words.