Is the University of Alabama racist? (My parents won't let me apply because they think it is)

<h1>37 Asians tend to apply to more well-known colleges, so it’s not really surprising to see that 1%.</h1>

<p>I wonder about the demographics of the Honors College at UA. Maybe half of the 1% Asian are over there. :)</p>

<p>Those really interested in the experience of students of various ethnicities at Alabama might want to contact the groups on this list: <a href=“http://www.uah.edu/images/administrative/student-affairs/student-life/Student%20Activities/RSO/RSO_Categories/MultiCultural.pdf”>http://www.uah.edu/images/administrative/student-affairs/student-life/Student%20Activities/RSO/RSO_Categories/MultiCultural.pdf&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<h1>41 that’s Hunstville, not Tuscaloosa, right?</h1>

<p>Oh, I checked the UA website - they claim 2% Asian population now. So it’s going up. :wink:
<a href=“Page Not Found | The University of Alabama”>Page Not Found | The University of Alabama;

<p>Yes, that’s Huntsville–there should be a list like that for each campus.</p>

<p>Note that 1% can be as low as ~0.6%, and 2% can be as low as ~1.6%.</p>

<p>LOL. Getting up and walking away from someone from CT is not racist, may just be because they only eat veggies and don’t shower…what, we are not all parodies of our stereotypes?</p>

<h1>42 - Headline “Asian population at UA doubles!” - it all depends upon how you spin it!</h1>

<p>2% would be in the neighborhood of 600 people.</p>

<p>According to the UA Common Data Set for 2013-14, 75 incoming freshmen, 322 degree-seeking undergraduates out of 6,454 incoming freshmen and 28,692 degree-seeking undergraduates.
<a href=“http://oira.ua.edu/d/sites/all/files/reports14/1314_cds.pdf”>http://oira.ua.edu/d/sites/all/files/reports14/1314_cds.pdf&lt;/a&gt;
section B-2.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Fortunately, my OOS D, who’s been on campus for two years, has yet to meet one of them.</p>

<p>Out of left field:</p>

<p>Nearly everyone is, or has been, bigoted in some way and to some degree.</p>

<p>To me, the people to avoid are those who act on that bigotry: IE, those who discriminate.</p>

<p>Until every parent teaches every child to judge people on merit and not age/sex/color/creed (etc.) – and imposes discipline when the child errs thereto – we are going to have bigotry. Hopefully public shame and/or prosecution will help us stamp out discrimination.</p>

<p>The Asian numbers are a bit misleading. Int’l Asian students are not in that count. </p>

<p>I’m not sure if mixed race Asians are in that count. </p>

<p>Not meaning to sound stereotypical, but Asian students are more likely to choose STEM and Business majors (maybe with Music double majors/minors) so the concentration will be stronger in those disciplines. </p>

<p>I doubt that in Engineering, math, physics, etc, classes there would be only one Asian face. </p>

<p>I dont know what is going on with the reported numbers. I am NOT saying that the Asian numbers are like the UCs (lol), but when I am on campus, I see a lot of Asian students. </p>

<p>Do some not report race or what? </p>

<p>(I realize that some may be grad students, and their numbers aren’t in the count either).</p>

<br>

<br>

<p>Exactly. </p>

<p>

</p>

<p>I have read various news articles saying that a growing number of students choose not to report race when applying because of fear of bias.
My kid will probably not report race on her common app.</p>

<p>And why should anyone report race as long as it is a point of judgment not related to merit?</p>

<p>M2ck is right. Many asians in bama and probably in other colleges are concentrated in stem classes. Humanitarian?not as many…and i am asian</p>

<p>@paul2752‌ do you attend UA? Do you like it? What do you like best about the school?</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>mom2collegekids, look at the common data set. It lists zero as Race and/or ethnicity unknown among the freshmen and 81 among all degree-seeking undergraduates. You are correct that it doesn’t include graduate students.</p>

<p>Asians are URMs at UA. Not sure why they would not indicate their race in the application process</p>

<p>Undergrads at Bama</p>

<p>797 Intls
897 Hispanic
3271 African American
125 American Indian
323 Asian
31 Native Hawaiian/Islander
603 2 or more races
81 Race unknown</p>

<p>I suspect that many of the intls are either from Asian or Hispanic countries. </p>

<p>Who knows what the racial mix is of the 603 mixed race students.</p>

<p>@scholarme‌ no but I am an incoming student.</p>

<p>However I know that the schools gives a great vibe to me and the fact that its one of great state school with financial aid is an attractive factor.Also the school spirit is super strong…</p>