is the VATech Honors program really something substantial/worthwhile?

<p>... or is it just a name to make the smarter kids feel special?</p>

<p>I think its most important to graduate "with honors"...meaning graduating with a cumulative GPA of 3.4+ As far as graduating from the honors program, I think it will help you for grad school.</p>

<p>How beneficial is it to have preference in signing up for courses? How do you get in to Honors housing?</p>

<p>VT Engineer, could you comment on dorms, please? It looks like nearly all of them either provide loft sytems or at least allow them.</p>

<p>I go to VT, and the honors program is a joke. For the first year its good, because kids have preference of class, and housing. After that, most leave.</p>

<p>Ive heard stories about the honors program telling kids to write a thesis for their honors degree. Then the kids say no Ill take the regular degree, and then the university gives them an honors degree anyway.</p>

<p>Summary: Honors is just a label to make the kids feel special</p>

<p>This might be true for VT, but I am not so sure. I completed a university honors program for my undergraduate at another state university and found it to be rewarding. At the end I had to do a community project that I would not have done otherwise. I believe it has also helped in getting into graduate schools as well. At UNM, it also gave me the opportunity to earn double honors on my diploma when I graduated.</p>

<p>My advise as a soon to be graduate student at VT this fall, enroll in the honors program and you will not regret it.</p>

<p>It is a good program and well respected</p>