Is there a deadline on October 1, 2013 for freshman app?

<p>It has been a long time since I looked at TAMU applications. A friend asked me to help his son through the process as they (as many) started to focus way too late. My take is that the kid must have missed the 10 percent cutoff by a hair, and might not be an academic admit via the 1300 SAT. </p>

<p>The parents insist they have been told about an October 1st deadline, but I cannot find anything that might confirm such date. I know applications opened in August and close on December 1st for regular 2014 Fall admissions.</p>

<p>Am I missing something?</p>

<p>Could they be thinking of registration deadline for last chance to take ACT/SAT to have scores sent before 12/1? </p>

<p>ACT is 9/27 for 10/26 test. SAT is 10/3 for 11/2 test. </p>

<p>I remember following that thread last year when D was applying and being astonished by kids asserting that certain majors- petroleum and some other engineering majors, were already completely full by late September. But that was not related to an actual deadline, just the way things progress there.</p>

<p>I don’t know of any October 1 deadline. As you said the deadline is December 1. And yes the engineering major does fill quickly. We have been told that by students and admins.</p>

<p>With the change to engineering next fall there may be more room since the applicant can’t really get a specified discipline and gets admitted for general engineering. As for other majors I don’t know how quickly they fill but I think business fills fairly quickly also.</p>

<p>The a&m admissions reps at our HS recommend the students submit apps by Oct 1, especially for engineering and business. They tend to fill up by that time because of the rolling admissions. So I think it is an “unofficial deadline” that high school guidance offices encourage adherence to.</p>

<p>Thanks for all the replies.</p>

<p>There is no October 1 deadline at all! When counselors put dates like that on kids it makes them think that there is no way they are getting to get admitted if they submit their apps past that date. NOT TRUE. The deadline is December 1. A&M always recommends getting your application in “early” in order to make sure you get your major choice, but there is no official or unofficial deadline besides December 1.</p>

<p>I hope Cottage123 is correct since that is what all written materials post and that is what a&m should stand by. But during our senior parent meeting two years ago, the a&m admissions counselor herself told parents to encourage our students to submit their apps by early October. This year the students were told October 1. I don’t know how closely “rolling admissions” is truly adhered to. But I do know of students at our high school who were top 10%ers who did not get into engineering because it was full in November last year.</p>

<p>A&M site does say:
before our published deadline - so do not delay in submitting your application.Apply early. Many high-demand majors fill up quickly, well before our published deadline.</p>

<p>This definitely applies to engineering.</p>