Is there anything that you dislike/hate about UW-Madison?

<p>As some of you may know I'll be coming into UW-Madison in the Spring '09 as a Junior. My choices were narrowed down to OSU-Columbus and UW-Madison, but I wanted UW-Madison mainly because of it's ranking, even though I've never been to its campus, or the city, I don't know how the social life is, diversity etc. I've read different opinions everywhere but nothing can be more reliable than first hand source such as students who actually study there. Is there anything that you don't like about UW-M? The city, safety of the city or school? Socially? Party reputation? Diversity? People's attitude in general?</p>

<p>weather...</p>

<p>UW-M is University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, you can just call it UW or Madison or Wisconsin... :)</p>

<p>Ivory tower mentality most of the professors have.</p>

<p>Unfortunately that comes along with any good university.</p>

<p>I have met a few exceptional ones, however, who are very much grounded while being experts in their field -- without the elitism and separation from the practical, real needs of the people around them and the people of this state. The blind idealism with no attachment to reality or the constraints of a system within which we operate drives me absolutely crazy.</p>

<p>Just me.</p>

<p>MNBadger those are some strong opinions and deserve backup. Any examples you want to share?</p>

<p>Hmmm... I haven't really visited the campus to be completely accurate. Although the shape of the campus seems to be more rectangle ( long, and thin) instead of more square. In ways it may make it seem smaller ( prefer large schools, UM-Madison student body is large), so that may be something to look at.</p>

<p>Cool- you have to see a campus before you can evaluate it. There is a long shoreline and unless you visit you can't appreciate the 3D effect of the hills.</p>

<p>I like the academic ivory tower eletism. I also see a lot of groundedness/realism as UW relates in its outreach programs around the state- something you don't notice being in Madison. UW has an oncampus persona and the role it plays as a resource for the state the rest of us see.</p>

<p>Winter was an issue last year and so far this year.</p>

<p>The diversity reflects the state's European immigrant dominated demographics and isn't as great as in some schools.</p>

<p>Yes, I did notice hills in the background ( while using google street view) and was surprise. I really don't see a more long/ rectangle campus that great, it seems like it may eliminate a center spot, or just a good zone of community. Although I'm sure visiting the campus may change that impression a little.</p>

<p>The UW Student Union on the lake, Bacom Hill, and the library mall serve well as central points on campus.</p>

<p>Coolbreeze - you definitely need to see the campus before deciding what it is like. The "central" point is not centered in the middle but is as barrons states- near State St. The original buildings were on Bascom Hill and the campus has grown mainly to the west, partly due to land available for aquisition over the years. History and geography play a role in a campus layout. The campus keeps evolving- all alumni can point out new and missing buildings from their day (Union South is now being torn down for an improved version so even December's alumni can say this).</p>

<p>Madison is a great place to live, and UW is a great school. I'm currently a sophmore and a legal studies/classics major. The classes that I have taken have all been challenging. (in a good way) The party scene here is amazing. Basically the kids that go here live by the motto "work hard, play hard." </p>

<p>Other than the weather, the separation of kids from the Midwest(WI and MN) and kids from the coasts. (NY, NJ, CA) The separation ranges from greek houses and freshman dorms all the way to bars and majors.</p>

<p>MN badger is off base.</p>

<p>What do you mean seperation of kids from Midwest and Coast?</p>

<p>Could be too liberal for some conservative students.</p>

<p>This thread debates the "coastie" question:
<a href="http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-wisconsin-madison/587758-coastie-question.html?highlight=coasties%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-wisconsin-madison/587758-coastie-question.html?highlight=coasties&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>The University is way too big. Class sizes suck, teacher/student ratio sucks, plenty of stuff to whine about =)</p>

<p>"Yes, I did notice hills in the background ( while using google street view) and was surprise. I really don't see a more long/ rectangle campus that great, it seems like it may eliminate a center spot, or just a good zone of community. Although I'm sure visiting the campus may change that impression a little."</p>

<p>Despite being long and rectangular, this really isn't the case. And its not actually that rectangular; its just that about 1/3 of campus has a very campus-y feel, and the other 1/3 is very urban and city-like. It is a real shame that Johnson and University, two of the biggest arteries in the entire city, run right through the middle of campus.</p>

<p>"Most" of the classes, unless you are in a specialized field, are in a five or six building area surrounding Bascom Hill. You will run into people you know on Bascom Hill quite a bit. A lot of traffic from and to Bascom Hill first goes through Library Mall, which I'd say is the #1 center spot, despite being completely on the end. In fact, I'd say UW has a better "center spot" than most other universities, because the commercial development around it ensures that people actually have a reason to be there other than going out of there way to study outside, etc. UW-Madison is in the process of completely revamping Library Mall, and it should be even nicer in the future (with the completion of the East Campus Mall running from Regent St. to the Lake)</p>

<p>You mean to tell me that another university and community colleges run through the campus of University of Wisconsin- Madison?
Wow, surpsing that a campus is set up like such... usually would expect that in a urban campus ( but you did mention 1/3 is urban) or say New York University where only a small fraction of the campus is connected.</p>

<p>No, University and Johnson are major streets that run through the southern portion of the campus which is not really a campus in the classic sense but more like an urban university. The campus area north of University Ave, is classic college campus without major traffic. It's a big area--as big and nice as many big campuses. The area south of University has many of the newer large facilities, the Southeast dorms, Kohl Center, SERF, football stadium and engineering campus and many more. Best to Google Earth the whole area and give yourself a tour. Then there also is the Picnic Point area which is like a large park and the Arboretum which is a large park. Basically there is a lot to the UW campus. That's why you see mopeds everywhere.</p>