Is this a good college essay idea?

Howdy! So I’m really struggling to find a good common app idea since I don’t know what experience can completely tell the story of who I am. I’m thinking of using one of my hooks (first gen) to describe my hardships of seeking opportunities as well as starting school since I really had no support. I think I can also talk about how my parents thought my education was useless and how they thought I was better off not going to college. Is this a good idea? Thank you for your time!

You want to sell yourself to the school. So, sure, write about hardships, but focus on how you’ve overcome them, the traits that made overcoming possible, the traits that you will bring to the school. How will you enhance the communoty? Are you kind? Someone who perseveres?

2 Likes

There is an essay reader thread here on CC where you can submit your essay for review. Just fyi.

I always suggested to my kids that they look over photos of childhood and growing up. For some reason that resulted in some pretty interesting essays.

I wouldn’t include this part. The essay is supposed to be about you, not any shortcomings you view your parents as having.

I think you need to think of the positive things about yourself and how you achieved them. And yes…perhaps one of the essay readers will give you feedback once you have written.

1 Like

I would focus on the positives and the opportunities that you took advantage of.

2 Likes

OP: No need to share an “experience [which] can completely tell the story of who [you are]”. One aspect is enough.

1 Like

I think that your determination to get an education despite lack of family support is a good topic. You just have to frame it in a positive manner, showing your determination. Lack of family support should be mentioned as an aside, without any poor me overtone.

2 Likes

IMO the purpose of a college essay should be:

1. To tell something positive (trait, accomplishment, etc) about yourself that isn’t elsewhere on the application and;
  2. To give admission officers a reason to want to have you on campus.

I recommend you start off by writing an outline/draft and see where it takes you. Focus on the positives and avoid any “poor me” sentiments.

2 Likes