Is this a good first year Engineering Classes?

Hello. I’m a Junior fantasizing about getting into the Dwight Look School of engineering. Does this seem likje a reasonable 1st year of classes?

Dual Credit in High School

• English Comp 1-2 (6hr)
  • US History (6hr)
  • Pols (6 hr)
  • PreCalculus (3hr)
  • Principles of Cinematography (3hr)
  • Beginner Spanish (3 hr)

Fall Semester

• CHEM 107 - Gen. Chem. for Eng. Students3,4 4 hrs
  • ENGR 111 - Foundations in Engineering I2 2 hrs
  • MATH 151 - Engineering Mathematics I1,4 4 hrs
  • PHYS 218 – Mechanics 4 hrs
  • PYSC – Physical Fitness 1 hr
  • VIS – Intro to Graphic Design 1 hr
    Total Credit Hours 16 hrs

Spring Semester Courses

• ENGR 112 - Foundations in Engineering II4 2 hrs
  • MATH 152 - Engineering Mathematics II4 4 hrs
  • PHYS 208 - Electricity and Optics4 4 hrs
  • MEEN 221 - Statics and Particle .,Dynamics2 3 hrs
  • VIS – Principles of Design 1 4 hrs
    Total Credit Hours 17 hrs

Summer Semester Courses

• Summer 1
    • MATH 251 - Engineering Mathematics III2 4 hrs
    • VIS – Life drawing 3 hrs

Summer 2

• MEEN 222 - Materials Science2 3 hrs

Total Credit Hours 10 hrs

Bear in mind that GPA is essential for getting into your major. You might want to lighten the load. You need only pass two science classes, two math classes, and the two engineering classes to get into your major.

https://engineering.tamu.edu/28784.aspx

For example you might put off either CHEM 107 or PHYS 208 until the summer, since the entry to major will be based on your Fall & Spring grades, and CHEM 107 and PHYS 208 are very tough.

History, Poly Sci, and English courses are good for the GPA.

You probably won’t get into the MEEN courses since you need to be admitted to the major for those.

It is really early to be worrying about this. Enjoy your last year of high school! :slight_smile:

Honestly, I was in the year previous to the implementation of the “general engineering,” so I’m not sure how important GPA is. But, you can make all A’s if you are dilligent about studying always, about preparing for tests and asking upperclassman about teachers and how they test, about studying effectively etc. However, to do so, you will have to sacrifice almost all of your personal life, especially with the hours you have planned. So, if you want to get into a less popular major, you are likely fine. If you need a 3.5+, its possible but just know that it will be difficult.

Know that the professors you take will be almost more influential on your grade than the hours. Check myedu.com and it will help you schedule and give you data on past grades for a given prof. Alternately, our registrar also makes that data available. Use this heavily to your advantage if you want to succeed.

Bottom line: its possible to make a 3.5+ but you will make many sacrifices and will need to be meticulous about planning, and especially class scheduling.

There is no need to make a schedule two years ahead of time.